CPU Usage Spikes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cyberxAcE, Jul 3, 2004.

1. cyberxAcE

cyberxAcE Guest

I've never had problems with my notebook before, but as of late, it's been very laggy even in its everyday use. Here is a screenshot of just opening internet explorer and navigating to post a topic on OT. Does anyone have any advice as to how to fix this? Are these spikes normal?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

If you click on processes it will tell you the app causing the spike.
    Which one is it?

3. cyberxAcE

cyberxAcE Guest

It's straight up explorer.exe.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

What hard drive do you have in your laptop? Those types of CPU spikes will not cause lag. You only really see CPU lag when the CPU hits (and stays) at 100%. High, flat curves suck, spikes are ok. On laptops, 4200rpm drives tend to be a bottleneck and are subject to fragmentation lag (most PC's won't "feel" performance degrade with disk fragmentation, slow laptop drives will). Virus Scanners can do it to if they are set too agressive (scan all files vs scan known file types for example).

5. cyberxAcE

cyberxAcE Guest

My harddrive is 4200 rpm, and I've felt more of the "lag" now that my hard drive is near full capacity. (60gb)

6. pummer

pummer New Member

shit. I had this exact problem, but I forgot the cause. If I can remember it, I'll get back to you :sad2:

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Try clearing up some space and maybe a defrag run or three. see if that helps.