CPU Usage Spikes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by austynn2001, Apr 17, 2004.

1. austynn2001

austynn2001 Guest

hey everyone. this is my first time posting in this section. some of you may recognize me from the hot deals forum. anyways, about every minute my CPU Usage graph will spike up to 95-100 from its usual 0-10:ugh: . when it does that my music stops and any programs i am using freeze up for the duration of the spike (usually around 3 seconds) i was wondering if anyon knows what is wrong and how to fix it? thanks alot,

Austynn

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

when you're in Task Manager, hit the Processes Tab and click on the CPU heading and sort it so that the bigger numbers are on top. Then when your computer spikes, watch and see which process is all the way at the top.

3. austynn2001

austynn2001 Guest

it's system idle process and it stays at around 98.

4. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

That's normal. He means to check for any other abnormal process that's causing it. Is this a fresh installation of Windows? Maybe a screenshot of your Task Manager can help us figure it out.

5. austynn2001

austynn2001 Guest

well i was sitting there staring atthe performance under the CPU Usage tab and a program called spysweeper jumped up to 99 so i closed it out and since then the highest spike has been 68. is that ok? it idles at 0 and then spikes up about every minute.