Cpu Usage 100

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chi, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Chi

Chi OT Supporter

Hello all, I've done a search and the only thing that seems remotely similar to my problem is possibly a Microsoft Patch?

I've tried going to msconfig and un checking all non Microsoft issues but still no love. Another thing that I've noticed is that my DSL is now incredibly slow. I've tried shutting down all non necessary apps in my Task Manager but CPU is still 100% and DSL still slow. The only app that seems big is explorer.exr but that's only at 4 megs. I'm almost at a wit's end and don't know how to proceed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

So far I've tried.
    -Msconfig
    -Disabling alot of stuff in Hijack this
    -Shutting down Macafee
    -Shut off AIM and msmsgs.exe

My System is:
    1 gig of Ram
    2.8 MHZ Intel Processor
    ASUS Motherboard
    Win XP

Anything short of a reformat seems my only bet. Plz Help. Thanks

2. Scrooloose

Scrooloose Guest

I know you have used HiJack this but have you scanned for spyware. Also look in the task manager and see what the program is that is setting your CPU to 100% (system idle process will always be hi cpu usage)

3. carlin

carlin Guest

do u know which application is taking all teh cpu cycles...

(task manager > sort by CPU )

edit* :werd:

4. Chi

Chi OT Supporter

Thanks for the replies guys. For the spyware I've tried adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware but clean.
    I had a typo in the original post. The biggest process I have is Explorer around 15 megs and that's about it.
    Was hoping a simple setting fix or MS update was available that I didn't know about. BTW will a reformat fix this problem? I'll do it if I hafta, but that's a lot of files I'll losing.

5. choler

choler New Member

you still haven't answered the question though...

15 mb is just the memory used by explorer (btw mine is around 25 mb -- which is about normal for win2k3, so i would think 15 mb is normal for winxp)

you need to find out which process is using the most cpu cycles...

Reformat would/should fix it, but should be u're last resort...

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Mine spikes up to 100% to and holds that way for a while, limit is 1280922 but it'll peak way above that. Dunno why it does it. Processes are normal, explorer is running around 28 megs, even on a formatted system. It stays that way for a couple mins then drops down to like 2 or 4% Only thing I use my computer for is Linux administration and web browsing.. typical message boards :dunno: I dont look at random sites or install spyware crap but im sure it gets on my system anyway (winxp)

who knows. anoying as shit sometimes. Only thing my system does that I have YET to figure out, is I get the blue screen and it locks, I have to reboot. Im convienced its my Nvidia card thats doing it. my old system had an Nvidia, switched it voodoo and it never happened again. :dunno:

7. Chi

Chi OT Supporter

Hi Choler, how wouold I find the CPU cycles?

8. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

you're most likely using winXP right, hit ctrl-alt-delet you get your task manager, hit the processes tab, you get all of the processes that are running on your computer and you can sort them by image name(which is just the program name), user name, cpu usage(this is the one that you want), and mem usage.

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ctrl+shift+esc brings up task manager too

10. Chi

Chi OT Supporter

Thanks again for the replies, It's one of my svhosts that is taking 99. I tried to end the process for shyts and giggles but it just came right back up

11. choler

choler New Member

12. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

tasklist /svc
    will tell you what services are registered under each svchost iteration. From there it should just be a matter of shutting down the services you don't need one by one.

If it's xp pro that's pretty easy just go into admin tools and then services. Don't think home has that option. So you might be outta luck there.

13. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Forgot about that :wiggle:

14. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member