CPU thermal glue?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZeroSkillet, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

Is it alright if I just put a dab in the middle and lay the heatsink on it....or do I have to spread it over the cpu with a card or something?

How long after doing this should I turn it on?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

i really hope you aren't using glue. Just put a dab in the middle. Put heatsink on. Turn on computer.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I put a dab in the middle and then smear it around into a thin film with my pinky before installing the heatsink. Opinions vary on whether that's really necessary, but I prefer to know that the entire surface of the CPU is efficiently transmitting heat.

4. lowfat

no it isn't. the heat is almost entirely directly over the cpu die, not the entire IHS. So on a dual core, right in the center. On a Kentsfield, off to the left and right slighty. But if the right amount of paste was added it should spread properly enough to cover both dies.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

well since with CPUs, other than the AMD XP series, the piece covering the core(s) is like a heat spreader.
    So yes spread the thermal compound evenly over the whole surface.

by just putting a dab in the middle and slapping on the heatsink you can't be sure the compound has spread out evenly and worse that there is too much in one area and not enough in another.

It also depends on what kind of thermal compound you're using. With Arctic Silver 5 you'll use a lot less than you would with that white crap that comes with most CPUs that include a heatsink.
    or with ArcticCooling heatsink you don't have to use any since the compound is pre-applied to the heatsink itself.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't recall saying "...the entire surface of the CPU is transmitting the exact same amount of heat", I said "...the entire surface of the CPU is efficiently transmitting heat". Do you see the difference?

Also, your own examples suggest that spreading the goop around first is the better approach, since you can't be 100% certain where the heat is coming from.

There's also the issue that the goop will naturally spread out in a circular pattern instead of a square pattern, meaning the goop will squeeze out past the sides of the heat spreader while leaving the corners uncovered. There's no reason to do this when it takes 5 seconds to spread the stuff yourself.

Yes, I do think about stuff like that.

7. lowfat

The corners do not need to be covered.

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name=OCZFreezeInstructions

For quad-cores:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

There are reasons you don't spread it around. One is air bubbles are more likely to occur. The other is because neither the heatsink nor the IHS is perfectly flat and you don't know where the paste is actually needed. Just putting a blob on and letting the heatsink spread it will actually put the paste where it will be needed.

From the OCZ article:

8. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

every thermal compound kit i've purchased said not to spread in the instructions, just apply the correct dab and let the heatsink do the spreading. also the recent i7 processor i just bought came with thermal compound pre-applied to the heatsink, it was just a thin layer in the center.

spreading it yourself is just a messy, less efficient way of applying it. if it's seaping out the sides when you press the heatsink on, you're applying too much... way too much.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

only spread if there's no IHS/bare die