CPU Temps

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BackScratch, Jan 25, 2005.

1. BackScratch

BackScratch New Member

I have an Athlon XP 2800+ and it's constantly around 45-50 degrees Celcius, and up to 60 degrees when using 100% CPU usage. Is this normal/safe?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's hot.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

What voltage is it at? I think the die temp on a 2800+ is ~80C, so you are getting kinda close to that. Are you experiencing any kind of instability or problems runnning 60C+? If not then i think it's safe for a short while, but pushing 50-60C 24/7 can cause long term problems.

I try to keep my chip in the 30's, if i hit the 40C range even at max load i'm not really pleased, But i'm running a mobiel so it'll idle 26C if my room isn't warm lol. For a desktop chip ~30-45C is acceptable for idle and 55C would be max acceptable for load temps IMHO. A cheap aftermarket copper cooler with a nice CFM fan should help you out alot especially with a coat of AS5 or some kind of thermal compound.

4. BackScratch

BackScratch New Member

I just slapped on the fan and heatsink that came with my boxed processor. It's scary in the summer because I live in an upstairs apt. w/ no A/C. Should I get a new cooler for my CPU?

5. MP

MP New Member

no it's not :slap:

backscratch you should go read the amd specifications from the amd web page or similar knowledge base web sites.

anything under 50* idle is fine and up to 70 under stress is ok

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  6. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

The athlons do run sorta hot...but not up to that...although on some boards the temp meter isn't all that good, so it is worth looking on the net to see what ppl have got to say about the board that you have.

also try changing the heatsink and fan...this may solve the problem.

7. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I've got a similar question....

I'm running a 3.2 P4 and the CPU is reading roughly 67C.
    All the info I've found through google appears to be older pentiums, or early P4's that are overclocked. Too hot? It currently has a 80mm fan, and I was thinking of putting in a 120 with the highest cfm I can find. Case temp is roughly 36C, would this help with the CPU or should I find a better fan for the CPU? Thanks.

8. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

well pentiums are normally hotter than the athlons. but 67 is very very hot, try a new fan etc, or again be corsous about the reading as it may not be that accurate!!!

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

omg you're a tool. My 2500+ o/cd to 3200+ runs at 32*. You wanna say that 50* is okay? I would *never* accept 50*. Even my P4 550 (hot) runs at less than 43*

10. MP

MP New Member

haha so since you run at 32* everybody else should? Don't bring intel into this conversation either. The thresholds are different. AMD's run well at high temps. I've personlly run multiple athlon and athlon 64's up to 70* without any problems for long periods of time. Please go read the spec sheet for the amd athlon series processors BY AMD!

under 50* idle is FINE and up to 70* stressed will work FINE for your system BackScratch. You should only be worried if under high stress it reboots/crashes. My AMD athlon desktop idles around 48ish and it's never been turned off in the past 13 months. Never once had any problems with it.

11. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The die temp for mostly all AMD chips, including XPs, is 90C.

Running 40-50 is just fine. Yes it would be nicer to run cooler and if that's what you really want, then get a big ass copper heatsink with a high flow fan and it should drop the temps a good deal. This is also asuming you're getting these temps running with the stock heatsink and fan.

I went from running a stock heatsink and fan, in a crappy airflow case, with temps around 55-60C. To a Thermaltake Volcano 12 and Arctic Silver 5, in the same case, with temps around 45-50 (in the summer a bit lower because of the AC).

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

go to someone that knows that they're talking about (not you or prolly any of yours friends) running above 40* is WAY TO FUCKING HOT for an AMD. :mamoru:

13. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Maximum die temperature
    90°C For Model 2100+ and below
    85°C For Model 2200+ and above

Inside the box local ambient temperature 42ºC

Per AMD.com...

14. MP

MP New Member

so amd and there sys admins are wrong? :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: AMD.com is WRONG, the thermal spreadsheet for the athlon series is completely WRONG eventhough is was written by AMD?

Well, to the threadstarter...you can either believe AMD, it's sys admins, it's thermal spreadsheet WRITTEN by AMD

or

you can believe jollyogre who has yet to produce any sort of hard facts with his testimonials.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

their max temps are not what you SHOULD be running... It's the MAXIMUM that they can withstand. It has been proven by many independent sources that running at or near MAX temps will reduce the life of the cpu. Through my extensive experience, die temps on the 462 chips should fall between 30-40 degrees. Any higher than that and you should look at why you are running hot. Anything over 50* is grounds for immidiate concern.

16. diranged

diranged New Member

Hey dipshit, stop talkin out of your ass.

1) What the fuck is an AMD '462' chip? AMD makes Opterons in 1xx, 2xx and 8xx series chips. Other than that, the Athlon64 chips are not marked in 3-digit numbers.

2) Any CPU can run in the mid 40's (celcius) and be perfectly fine. High temps start around 65 degrees. The CPUs have a thermal sensor and will shut off after 95 degrees. This is basically true for any 89watt CPUs.

if you think im wrong, prove it...

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ROFLMFAO

1) An AMD 462 chip is a socket 462... AKA Socket A... AKA an Althon XP... As in the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ that this thread is about :rofl:

2) a S462 chip does *NOT* have a thermal sensor. That started with the 754/939 chips.

If you think you're right then I feel sorry for you :rofl:

18. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

19. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

high temps are overrated. The avg AMD is designed to run ~ 10 years under normal circumstances. running it hot will certainly reduce it's life but it's safe to say it will most likely last long enough to become outdated if you run hotter than 40 degrees. Anything under 65ish should be decently safe however since it is running that hot there is always the chance it could die prematurely.

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

wow...you guyz need to take a chill pill and actually do some research. running 50C 24/7 is NOWHERE near a dangerous temp...it's just not PREFERRED! You can run an Athlon at 50C-60C for over a year and have 100% stability.

The die temp on my chip is 100C (Mobile), so i could run 70C-80C without having any real problems, (of course would i? no thats retarted, it would shorten the life) For desktop chips i think they melt 80C-90C, so runniong 50C should be fine (but again not PREFERRED).

Almost all SocketA mobo's have a built in thermal diode/sensor. EVERY board i have ever bought for my Socket462 chip has had a thermal sensor on it (not it is NOT on the chip...its on the mobo). They are on average misleading however, many of them have been proven to be ~10C off at any given time. An ACTUAL diode you place under the chip or inbetween the pins will be MUCH more accurate than the mobo one. My mobo has a freaking diode For my DIMM slots...

21. wakeboardbart

wakeboardbart New Member

I N T E L (R) A C T I V E M O N I T O R

System Information Report
    26/01/2005 20:32:07

General Information
    Product name Intel(R) Desktop Board D865PERL based system
    Board model Genuine Intel(R) D865PERL system board
    OS version Windows* XP version 5.1 Service Pack 2 build 2600
    OS memory 1,046,252 KB RAM

Processor
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
    Bus speed 800 MHz
    L1 cache Data Cache 8KB, Execution Trace Cache 12K Micro-ops
    L2 cache Advanced Transfer Cache 512 KB
    Form factor Socket 478
    Stepping 9

System
    Physical memory 1,024 MB RAM
    Memory speed DDR266
    Memory type DDR, Synchronous
    Form factor DIMM
    BIOS date 06/28/2004
    BIOS size 512 KB
    BIOS version P19 (RL86510A.86A.0085.P19.0406281350)

Sensors
    Sensor Name System Fan 1
    Current Value 2326
    Upper Threshold not applicable
    Lower Threshold not applicable

Sensor Name Processor Zone
    Current Value 97
    Upper Threshold 167

Sensor Name System Zone 1
    Current Value 91
    Upper Threshold 122

Sensor Name System Zone 2
    Current Value 93
    Upper Threshold 122

Sensor Name +12 V
    Nominal Value 12.000
    Current Value 12.313
    Upper Threshold 13.200
    Lower Threshold 10.800

Sensor Name +5 V
    Nominal Value 5.000
    Current Value 4.974
    Upper Threshold 6.000
    Lower Threshold 4.000

Sensor Name +3.3 V
    Nominal Value 3.300
    Current Value 3.317
    Upper Threshold 4.300
    Lower Threshold 2.300

Sensor Name CPU Core (+1.52 V)
    Nominal Value 1.525
    Current Value 1.506
    Upper Threshold 2.325
    Lower Threshold 0.725

Sensor Name CPU I/O (+1.5 V)
    Nominal Value 1.500
    Current Value 1.458
    Upper Threshold 2.300
    Lower Threshold 0.700

End of Report

*Third-party brands and names are the property of their respective owners.

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i've pumped over 2.0v into my desktop chip, and 2.2v into my mobile...still running fine.:) i need phase-change cooling lmao. i think temps were in the 40-50's without even doing anything very CPU intensive.

23. diranged

diranged New Member

I'll give you that one -- I have actually never heard anyone refer to it as '462' -- simply 'Socket A'.

True, but 99% of Socket A motherboards, DO have a thermal diod to monitor the CPU temperature and will automatically shut the system off at a given point. And my point was not whether or not 'all AMD CPUs' had a thermal sensor -- but that the system would be shutting itself off if there were actual thermal problems in it.

Now if you look at any Athlon64 laptop, you will find that the CPU runs between 50C and 60C most of the time. Is this poor design? Maybe they just overlooked that when they designed the laptops... or maybe, the CPU core is designed not to fail until over 90C -- so they know its not a huge deal if it runs over 50C.

With regards to the K7 core, it was fairly similar -- the CPUs were always designed to run up to about 80-85C. Sure, AMD would love to see all the systems runningat 35C, but that is dependent on alot more than the CPU (case, fans, PSU, hard drives, etc..).

I have about 1100 K8 chips in my lab and I don't worry about any of them until they are running at over 60C (while idling) -- then I will look into whats going on. Other than that, I have not seen one chip fail due to overheating -- ever. (Though, you'd be surprised at what bad memory sticks can do to a CPU :eek3: when the memory controller is on die).

24. diranged

diranged New Member

Oh yeah one more thing -- the thermal sensor did not start with 754pin or 939pin chips. :ugh:

it started with the original K8 chip -- the Opteron (Socket 940). 754pin didn't come out for another 6 months after 940, and 939 waited yet another 6-8 months to come out.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

754/939/940 are the same generation.