CPU question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

This might be kinda hard to answer cause dual-core CPU's are still kinda newish. But what is better for multi-tasking, a dual-core CPU or two CPU's on one motherboard? I'm looking at upgrading to a gaming/multi-tasking system. I know with RAM two 512 sticks is faster than one Gig stick. Wondering if CPU's follow the same rule.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I've been arguing this with one of the eggheads in another thread.
    I told him that the pair of single cores smokes the single dual core, and I even posted pics from a couple of reviews that showed I was right.

Well earlier today, I just finished my build and it got 32,146 on 3DMark03.

Now I don't care if the FX-60 is the same as the Opteron 285 dual core or not, they both run at 2.6ghz per core.
    My setup is a pair of Opteron 252's which are single core proc's also running at 2.6ghz per core.
    I challenge somebody to show me a higher 3DMark03 result than mine.
    I'm running a pair of 7900GT cards in sli, with 1gb per cpu,
    on a Tyan kW8E S2895 motherboard, with a Fujitsu 10K scsi drive
    for my operating system.
    I plan on getting a pair of 15k drives in a raid array, so the benchmark would go up a small amount from the 32,146 score that it gets now.

Here's the screenshot of the benchmark:
    [​IMG]

3. Doc Brown

And when I say I challenge somebody to show a better score, I mean a better score from an FX-60 or an Opteron 285, both running at 2.6ghz per core.

4. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Okay, now here's another question. Right now I'm running an Athlon 64 CPU. Is there a board that supports two of these or do I have to buy two new Opterons? Trying to avoid spending as much as possible.

5. Doc Brown

No, the Opteron socket 940's are amd's dual cpu versions.
    The big cost is actually the board. My Tyan S2895 board is
    500 bucks with onboard scsi. But I got the pair of Opteron 252's for under 500 bucks on ebay, so I still spent less for the build than it would cost for the highend dual core cpu setups.
    But there's things you should be aware of like the fact that the motherboard is an extended atx (13x12) and it won't fit in a lot of desktop cases.
    Also, they take registered ecc memory because they are server boards.
    But even with that, they still kick ass over a single dual core of same speed, and for less money.

Also, it's only fair to mention that we're talking about extreme high end.
    And to put together a system with the Tyan board, even if you get lucky like I did on the cpu's, you'll spend close to two grand for the whole build.

So the other system I would suggest is a dual core socket 939 3800 x2 dual core. I've been told that they overclock real well, and with a pair of video cards in sli, you would have a screamer for a lot less money.
    I don't have any problem with dual cores if you can get a good deal. But the top of the line ones are just not worth the money.

6. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Alright, thanks! :bigthumb:

7. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dual-core CPUs share the same on-chip cache memory, which means that the two cores can share data between each other more quickly. This is good for multitasking that doesn't process large amounts of outside data (like games, which run the same small set of logical rules over and over again) because if a process gets switched from one core to another, it doesn't have to reload all the data it was using in cache memory before it got transferred.

Separate single-core CPUs have separate cache memories, but they also have separate connections to outside RAM, meaning that they can effectively access data in RAM at twice the speed as a dual-core setup can. That's better for multitasking that involves large quantities of outside data (like rendering movies and ripping CDs and the like).

That said, it takes a lot of usage to saturate the connection between the CPU and RAM on modern computers, so unless you make lots of movies or rip lots of CDs or run a database server, the decrease in speed when you do that will be a reasonable tradeoff for better performance when you play games or run Microsoft Word (which has a horribly-inefficient spell-checker).

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

damn, that gets all the girls huh?

10. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Lol, with a benchmark like that, who needs women!?

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The effort required to get a benchmark like that takes a long time and builds up a man's appetite. Someone's got to cook dinner.

12. Doc Brown

I got a 13,000 on 3DMark05 with it. And that ain't bad for a pair of GT cards.

13. Doc Brown

With the money I spent on the rig, I can't afford women!:wtc:

14. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I got 10,600 in 3DMark05 with an opteron 165 @ 2.3gHz and a stock clocked XFX 7900GTX :dunno:

15. Doc Brown

Well that's a gtx card though. But you would be surprised to see how little the difference would be from two of them. I'm guessing you would wind up around 14k, 14.5k....

16. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

i'm jellous :ugh2:

17. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I have no need for two, it plays CS:S and DoD:S at like 140fps @ 1920x1200 :mamoru: