cpu question - confused :/

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by C4, Aug 13, 2004.

1. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

[​IMG]

So i am thinking of buying a new system, and researching the best possible CPU combinations for my system, and i came across this test result for DOOM3 speeds from anandtech.

I am a bit confused, not being extremely technically minded when it comes to hardware (i can build PC's but the specs are a bit too geeky for me :big grin: ) as to some of the results.

For Information:

CPU AMD Athlon64 3800+ w/HyperTransport, Socket939, Box $1067.00
    CPU Intel Pentium 4 800FSB 3.4GHz Socket 478 512K $693.00

How does a 2.4Ghz CPU end up beating a 3.4Ghz CPU?

And am i missing something here? I used ot own an AMD CPU, and its counterpart (of the same speed) from intel was MUCH better, and much more expensive.

Im trying to build a PC for gaming and graphics, but i want to be able to play doom3+any of the new games coming out, at high quality (ie - how the games are MEANT to be played) and i am just too confused with the new equipment available since i last built a PC (a few years ago)

Any suggestions for video cards, cpus, ram, MOTHERBOARDS etc would also be appreciated!

Keep in mind, those prices i posted are in Australian Dollars, so halve them or something for USD.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

clock speeds aren't everything when it comes to cpu's, although intel seems to think so.

And how much r u planning to spend on the whole system? i dont see any prices.

3. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

in the middle of my post there were 2 prices...

on the whole system id like to keep it around $2000 but i know im going to spend a lot more if i trulywant to have kickass frames in games...

4. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

AMD 64 3800+ would be nice :x:

5. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

The AMD chip is using a completely different buss style than the Intel chip. Their engineers put some serious hard work and thinking into this and came up with an awesome design. Also that chip is using a meg for cache.

I love my athlon 64 chip. :yum:

6. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

yeah from what ive read (i posted this on a few other places too) the 64's are everybody's favourite.. pity the 3800+ is just over 1000 bucks !!! :wtc:
    i might have to settle for a 3400+ or 3500+

:wtc:

7. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

So? You know you want it. It calls to you. Just before you fall asleep. It whispers and beckons you.

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

The real kicker on the Athlon 64 is that it's not even working to its full potential yet because 64-bit Windows XP hasn't even been released yet.

9. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

:wtc: its true :eek3:

10. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

The AMD and Intel architectures are completely different. AMD simply does more work per clock cycle than Intel. Intel designed their architecture from the very beginning to use very high clock speeds because it's easier to sell MHz than features. This explains how the 2.4GHz FX-53 completely trounces the fastest Pentium 4 at 2/3 the clock speed.

11. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

you might want to rethink what you just said there.... Intel knows just as well as AMD that 1Mhz doesn't equal 1mhz which is why the socket 775 P 4's and the new celeron D's have model numbers.