CPU probs, RAM related

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BeatKonducta, Aug 28, 2003.

1. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

ok. my boy just got 512 megs of DDR ram and he says that after he installed it his comp just reboots wheneevr he starts a game or does other misc things. anyone have an idea what could be causing this? does he have to mess with his BIOS or anything? any help is appreciated.

2. MP

MP New Member

so the problem just started when he got the ram?

Unfortunatly it could still be a number of things. Video card, PSU, cpu, ram

If it just started happening when he got the ram then i would check to make sure everything looks normal in the bios and during start up. It should say the speed/freq/volt and so on.

Could just be a bad stick of ram also. Name brand?

3. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

the brand of ram he got is centon. he says the probs started when he installed the ram. he said he can take it out and everything will be fine. but once he installs it, everything goes to shit. how can i pinpoint what the problem is? he's kinda comp illiterate, as i am as well. but i still know quite a bit more than he does. just not in this dept. thanks.

4. MP

MP New Member

try putting the ram in a different bank just for shits n'giggles. Slim chance but it's possible.

what brand mobo? what speed ram?

I'm guessing it's either bad ram or maybe the mobo is thinking it's the wrong speed so it's overloading it.

5. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

not sure on brand of mobo. but he says the comp read that it had 700+ mb of ram when he put the 512 in. it's 512 DDR that he installed. i dunno if that will help at all. he said he also switched banks, but nothing happened.

6. MP

MP New Member

so he still has a 256mb stick of ram in there? Take out the 256 and only keep the 512 stick in there.

btw: speed i meant in mhz like ddr400, pc2700, etc

7. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

he says that when he put just the 512 in windows xp was really really slow then he thinks it just shut down. i swear, he can't remember shit.
    and this is what he said about the speed that he bought::: "well the card i bought has 516MB DDR 266Mhz" i dunno if that helps at all.

8. MP

MP New Member

well i :dunno:

9. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

266 mhz is pc2100... what is the other 256 stick? they should be compatible with each other.

10. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

we had a problem like this where it would keep restarting, turned out it was ecc ram in a non ecc mobo. dunno if that helps, but i'd look at a possible incompatability...

11. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

I like this idea.
    Maybe use Crucial's memory shopper thing to determine if the memory should work or not. That does require having some info about the motherboard though...

12. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

13. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

ok, went over to my friend's house yesterday. tried damn near everything. 512 by itself, different slots etc. the computer reads the ram saying the cpu has 768 with both sticks in. so the cpu reads the ram. i went to crucial's shopper and this is what it gave me: http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...ards&mfr=Intel&cat=RAM&model=D845BG&submit=Go it says that he can use the pc2100 512DDR. but that is what he bought. whenever we install the ram it just either shuts down internet explorer if we;re surfing or shuts down a game if we try to load one. does anyone have any ideas whatsoever? his mobo is: INTEL model number: D845BG

14. MP

MP New Member

Only other thing I can think of is flashing/updating the bios. Dunno what else could be the prob :dunno:

15. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

giving this a bump cause i have the exact same problem.

i just bought a stick of 512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR ram. i replaced a stick of 128 generic ram with it. i now have 512MB and 256MB of Crucial DDR PC2100 ram. my computer is randomly restarting if i load any kind of game. and sometimes even if i dont. no one has any ideas? cause this really blows.