CPU issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I recently decided to upgrade my old computers to slightly less old hardware. While figuring out what I have I discovered that this whole time I was underclocking my CPU.

The MB I have:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=505&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=89

The CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 2700+. Here's a link to the PDF with all of them on there. Its on page three, first one of the model 8 series.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/con...Assets/Electrical_Specification_Rev04_ENG.pdf

The BIOS automatically sets the CPU Speed to 100. According to the website, my CPUs speed is 166 (333/2). I tried to set it to 166 and it caused my computer to crash and emit a beeping that sounded like a European Cop Car (two toned repeating.) After bringing it back down to 100 everything works fine. Thought maybe having the Voltage at Auto wasn't giving it enough juice so I manually set it to 1.65 (standard according to specs) which then caused the computer to not even start booting.

What's the deal? Am I getting screwed?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

when you boot up does it detect as "Athlon XP 2700+" If so, everything is working fine. Otherwise, go into BIOS and use the "Load High Performance Defaults" option. That should fix it.

3. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I noticed that the boot screen detected it as an Athlon 1500+. Now I know its a 2700+ because I looked up the part number off of the dang chip itself. Unless it was misprinted on it.

I tried the whole "Load High Performance Defaults" and got the ole beeping thing again. Screw it, I'll just buy a slightly better CPU anyways. Dang things. I just hate not understanding why.