Cpu Doa??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Claydus, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

I ordered a Barton 3000 400 FSB cpu. I installed it in my system that had a Xp 2200 in it. So I didnt format I just popped it in with a new speeze heatsink. So i turn the power on. Ok the computer is up and running all fans including heatsink and powersupply fans are working. The harddrives are getting power and so is DVD drive. The harddrive light on the front of my case in on non stop. And my monitor is getting just a standby signal..... just the power light blink as if were on standby. Ok so try another video card thats not it. I cleared the CMOS and that didnt work so far. I no idea what to do so put my Xp 2200 back in and the computer boots up. I applied Artic silver paste.... so i know thats not the problem. Any suggestions? I'll post a pic of the CPU later it sorta looks strange.....

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

what motherboard do you have? I am betting that your motherboard doesn't support a barton core. You can try to flash the bios, then your motherboard might be able to support the cpu, but you also might have to buy a newer motherboard 2.

3. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

sure your motherboard supports 400fsb?

4. Jerboy

Jerboy Guest

As others suggested, a few possibilities

1. Motherboard doesn't support that chip with current BIOS. Put your old CPU back in and flash the BIOS

2. Motherboard doeesn't support that chip period. You're pretty much screwed

3. Combination with one of the above, or on it's own, your memory might not handle 200MHz FSB

5. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

I have the Abit NF7-S 2.0

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

it might be the memory cause that motherboard supports 3200+ barton cpu's. is your ram pc3200?

7. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

i have Corsair XMS 3200 ........ but i had a Curcial 2100 in there before...... it display the Corsair at 266 when it boots up

and here is a macro of the processor
    [​IMG]
    did I pwned this thing? i dont know if it suppose to dark in some of those areas :hs:

8. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

a little help please ? :hs: