CPU Cooling

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Grimreefer, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Grimreefer

Grimreefer Life Sucks ... and then you Die

Which is a better cooler the Zalman 9700 or the Tuniuq Tower 120 ? I currently have a 680i board with a C2D 6600 i plan on overclocking. I've seen some reviews on both ... there is no clear winner. I was hoping someone here might have some experience with them.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

From one review I read they compared those 2, and several others, and the over all seemed to be that the Tuniq Tower 120 was better
    But what wasn't talked about is how cool it was at it's lower setting compared to the Zalman or any of the others.

The noise level was matched to the Zalman at low speed, and only very slightly quieter at high speed.

Personally; if you're not looking to OC to I'd go with the Zalman. I love the CNPS7000B-Cu I have now

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Have you looked at the thermalright ultra 120? I'm running that on my C2D with a decent 120mm fan and it sits about 42c under full load, overclocked to 3.3ghz from 2.4.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Ya, the Tuniq tower supposedly cools better.

But one thing I'd like to see that none of the reviews show, is how well they do over the course of a day.

The reviews are all done in either half hour, or hour long segments.

I wonder how much heat builds up on various heatsinks over the course of a day with heavy computing.

The Zalman 7700 series for instance, blows air across the cpu, and also onto the motherboard. I wonder whether that would give you better results after hours and hours of gaming.

5. Grimreefer

Grimreefer Life Sucks ... and then you Die

I've heard nothing but good things about the Zalman 9700 except that it's a little more expensive. Like you said Doc, there are only a hand full of benchmarks and it's not i would also like to see Cooling performance after 1 full day of heavy testing.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Personally if you can go with a Noctua NH-U12 or a Thermalright Ultra 120, that is the route I'd go. I've previously owned a Tuniq Tower and much prefered my Noctua NH-U12. It does just as a good of a job IMO with a much quiet slower fan.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Dude, that's the best av in all of ot. :bowdown:

8. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I'm on the fence about this as well. I've got new system parts on the way and I can easily drive to Frozen CPU and check out the latest and greatest coolers but I'm not sure what to go with (Asus P5B-E, E6600).

I'm not looking for extreme overclocks (I'll be happy with around 3ghz if I OC any at all) but I want good cooling and something quiet, as well as something that works well in my case (Lian Li PC-V1100BPlus II). Personally the towers seem like overkill for my needs, and if I can I'd rather not deal with annoying mounting brackets (did that back in the day with my SP-94).