CPU Cooling Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jay487, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

I installed MotherBoard Monitor to see how my cpu was running. Seems to be a lot hotter than it used to be (thermal pad probably wearing off etc)

Anyways its a AMD Barton 2500+ @ 1.83 GHz (stock) with stock hs and fan. Runs at about 63C idle and 70C after gaming. This seems WAY hotter than it used to, and I know its not good for it, so heres my questions:

a) If anyone has MBM5 with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo and knows if I have to change any sensor settings (maybe my cpu diode isnt actually that hot?)

b) I'd like to get a GOOD (not outragously expensive) heatsink and fan from newegg. Also need the thermal paste obviously, any tips, reccomendations are appreciated. Also need some case fans but I assume those are pretty standard. Plan on overclocking this once I get the new hs and fan, so keep that in mind.

edit* - I've been browsing a few hs combos, as far as a price range i'd pay up to around $40 for a quiet one that will cool very well.

Thanks a lot guys, OT is always a help :bigthumb:

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Compare the MBM5 readings to that from the BIOS

My system dropped something around 10-15degrees when I got a Thermaltake Volcano 12 and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. I'm not saying you should get that because it can be loud, see as how at the highest setting of 5500+ RPMs it's putting out 48db and I run mine at about 5000RPMs. And you can control the speed of the fan to make it even slower and quieter and it should still cool a good bit better than what it sounds like you have now.
    But it is inexpensive at around $30 where I got it (not from newegg, but they have it for about the same price).

3. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

4. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

That is hot! My P4 2.4C @3.0 GHz is constantly at 100% load and had been running at about 51 - 52 C for quite some time. Last week I cut out a big hole on the side cover and stuck a 120mm fan in it blowing directly on the CPU. Temps dropped by 10C. Now to find a way to shut off those super bright blue LED's in that fan...
    I would definately pull it apart and replace the thermal paste though.

5. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

Athlons run hotter then P4's ;) unless you have a prescott.

6. Midknightster

Midknightster New Member

Get a Vantec Aeroflow 1 not the 2. For me I am running an overclocked 2500 to a 3200 on a A-Bit NF7-S motherboard. Idle 39 degrees celsius and with a load its 43 degrees celsius. Also helps to have a decent case and front and rear exhaust fans. A blow hole in the roof of the case is also a nice addition. Your Power Supply should also have decent airflow too. I have a Vantec Ion 400 W which has variable fan settings and an intake fan over the cpu/hs and the exhaust fan.

7. g1ock

g1ock Guest

My p4c @ 3.6ghz 1.6v/vcore is only ~40c at 100% load
    Thermalright slk948u w/ 92mm tornado fan ;)

8. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the side too. My P4 idles around 47 - 50C and on full load it gets up to about 55-60C. I took the side panel off to see how that would effect the temps and it dropped by 6C. What tools did you use to make the hole so that a fan could be built into it?

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You can do it the hard way with a dremel or the easy way and get a hole saw. I did that in my Lian li case and put a 120mm fan in the door blowing right on my P4. At the lowest speed my zalman fan controller would allow dropped the cpu temp about 6°c, and I could crank it up and get it down another 4(10 total)or so.

10. mattATX

mattATX OT Supporter

YOu need a new heatsink get a good one and youre temps will go way down. SLK900 or something else with copper.

11. Midknightster

Midknightster New Member

Where your computer is in your desk and surrounding area also affect the computers temp. Make sure no heater ducts or other heat sources are near it and also make sure the computer case is in a well ventilated area. I blowhole on the top makes a much better decrease in temp. Your front intake fans should only be the intake for your computer. Have a rear exhaust and a blowhole with the help of your power supply taking most of the heat out.

12. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-110-008&depa=0

I use the same MB/Proc as you and have that fan, my temp dropped 10 degrees when I put it on. It's quiet too unlike the volcano or some shit. With some new ram its running OC'd at 3200 2.2gig 334fsb

Idle 40c gaming 45c

Also your MB should have come with Asus Probe. It'll tell you the temps and stuff too.

13. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

I got the Zalman 7000A-CU copper heatsink I got my P4 3.0 C runnint at 3.6 with stock Vcore. Man that one HELL of an heatsink, an quite one, too. It will fit Socket A as well, it's an universal heatsink. BTW, the amount of thermal compound that you applied and how you applied them will affect the CPU temperature, too. So just keep that in mind.

Mine runs at 55C at 100% load overclocked to 3.6C . But before that when I didn't apply the thermal paste properly it could've gone up to 65C at STOCK SPEED!!!!... So, proper contact of the CPU and the heatsink is very important and I have seen it first handed...

14. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

I've gotten the same CPU temps with my stock heat sink/fan and the ThermalTake P4 Spark 7 copper heat sink/fan. I tried re-applying the thermal paste but the temps were exactly the same both times. I think I'm doing it correctly, I apply a very small amount of paste and make sure it is spread out over the processor. :dunno: