CPU Coolers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'm thinking of buying myself a good HSF for Christmas to replace the stock one I have on right now. I have an AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton and an Asus A7N8X motherboard. Any suggestions for a good cooler? I'm thinking of a Thermaltake Volcano11+ (or 12 if they have them anywhere here by then), but I thought I'd ask for suggestions since I'm not too experienced with this type of thing :).

2. Mirrorlure7M

Mirrorlure7M OT Supporter

I would like to know as well Post links so we all can see picture of the product!

3. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

I have the volcano 11+, looks awesome, but its loud as hell. Does its job nicely, but its a pain in the ass when you're trying to sleep in the same room.

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

NOOOOOOOOOO

Thermaltake is CRAP! ThermalRIGHT on the other hand is excellent :cool: I recommend Thermalright SLK800U, plus a Panaflo 21db fan, and a Zalman fanmate. OR, if you want to spend a little less but get nearly the same cooling power, get a Zalman 7000AlCu cooler. Both of those are excellent pieces of hardware.

Repeat after me, Thermaltake = trendy, noisy crap.

5. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Zalman 7000AlCu first:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thermalright SLK800A:

[​IMG]

Basically you want to get the versions of these heatsinks that mount through the four holes on your mobo (not all AMD mobo's have these, but the A7N8X does) because it's much more secure to hang two pounds of copper off your mobo that way, than just off the plastic clips on the CPU socket. There is also a Thermalright SLK900A (AMD clips) and SLK900U (AMD/P4 with the four holes) in addition to the SLK800U and SLK800A which have the same naming scheme. The 900 is a little bigger and doesn't fit as many AMD mobos, it's also a little more expensive. You can also get the Zalman 7000 in an all copper version, which cools no better than the AlCu version. You can get the 7000 with either the AMD clip mounts (crappy) or the four-hole mount (good).

But basically, the Zalman 7000AlCu = SLK800A/U = SLK900A/U in terms of cooling power and noise. Very quiet and very powerful coolers.

6. Penguin Man

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:down: to Aero7, sorry :hs:

8. Penguin Man

May I ask why?

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

thermalright slk900u over the 800, because it lets you throw on a 92mm fan, which can spin slower, making less noise and still move more air than an 80mm fan.
    I have a tt volcano 9, and it cools well, but way too noisy.

www.bigfootcomputers.com has good pricing on that stuff for us canucks.

10. Penguin Man

I'm thinking I'll go with the Zalman 7000AlCu as suggested by Ghetto91Accord. Seems to be very good, I just have to make sure it'll fit on my mobo (make sure PSU isn't in the way).

On a side note, I just cleaned up inside my machine, got the IDE cables out of the way and such, and it seems to have made a difference (although it's tough to tell until it's been running for a couple hours). I'm gonna re-apply my stock HSF with some Arctic Silver 5 this weekend, I'm pretty sure I have way too much of the thermal grease on there. I ran cpuburn and it only took about 7 minutes to go from 42C to 60C, with the case temp staying at about 24C the whole time, so I figure the HSF isn't working that effectively.

11. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

there was a post on hardforum, the guy cut the metal piece behind the back of the CPU, and it droped 10C on his machine, other people tried it and they got good results as well, might be a cheap good way, i'll find link and post it in a bit

12. Leb_CRX

13. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:werd: but the 900 has problems fitting on some mobos. Hell, the 800 does too. They're both very big chunks of metal.

14. Penguin Man

Hm, I might do that, although I don't have a dremel or anything like that for cutting the hole in the case. Anyway, today it's back up to its usual temperature despite removing the clutter. I'll definetely reinstall the HSF this weekend, since I'm sure it's the excess thermal grease that's the problem (there was a fair bit on there). I'm also definetely getting a third case fan (I have one intake and one exhaust, both on the side, gonna add one in the back, maybe one in the front later, it would take some case disassembly to get one in the front). I figure that should help, the CPU is idling at 57ish right now, which seems a bit high to me (since it isn't OCed).

15. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

I ordered the new thermalright sp-94 i hope that bitch fits. Its the biggest HSF i have ever seen. The tech says it has been tested to fit on my asus p4p800 but it will be a tight ass fit.

16. Leb_CRX

oh ya I think that's a bit on the high side...

my 1600+ was running 56+ and I was pulling my hair, it ended up climbing to 70+ before the end of the week, kept turning off and shit, got me scaired, ended up wanting to get a volcano 11+ (was running v8) and I decided the night before I was going to buy the new fan, to take it apart and clean it...did that and it droped from 70+ to 40 on load...yipeee, now I clean it everytime it reaches 45...

point of my post, I dont remember, but vote leb_crx for mod :ugh:

oh hshit now I remember when it was running 50+, I bought two fans, one for the front, and one for the back...didnt even drop my temps 1celcius..I took the case off and did maybe 2, if that, best to just check if it's clean, and I dont know if I just got bad fans but they didnt help much :hs: , but yours is fairly clean since I remember you posting you just got it like last month

17. affende

affende Guest

i have the coolermaster aero 7 lite running on my oc 1700+, at idle the chip runs ~32c w/ a max of ~45 under prime95. the hip is ocd to 1.800 from 1.467

18. affende

affende Guest

BTW...i do like the cooler...it is a little expensive for what you get, but it does a good job :coolermaster:

19. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

20. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Get the SLK900 and get a 90-120mm fan adapter. :o

21. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've never seen one that will hook onto that heatsink because of the way the fans get clipped on. Is there one out there?

22. Penguin Man

:cool: those are good prices, about 10 bucks cheaper including shipping than NCIX.

23. Penguin Man

Picked up some Arctic Silver and another case fan today, and reinstalled the HSF with the new grease spread nice and thin. Seems to be idling about 36 at the moment (down from 58), but we'll see if that lasts after running non-stop for a day or two. I did run cpuburn and got the temp up into the 50's, and when it came back down it leveled off at 36.

24. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:cool:

25. affende

affende Guest

arctic silver > *