CPU 100% usage

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1999TL, Aug 13, 2008.

1. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

My DELL Laptop keeps going up to 100% CPU usage. I'm not sure what itis. Seems that when I close IE7, it will go down. However, the problem will come back again later.

Could it be my temps? I installed coretemp and it's reading 77 and 79 on the cores right now, but now it just dropped back to 62 and 63. 79 was the highest I've seen it read, but I'm not sure how accurate the core temp readings are.

I'm running Vista Ultimate by the way.

[​IMG]

2. more off

more off Moderator

you should reinstall looks like you have a ton of bloatware

you have like 40-45 too many processes running

3. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I actually did reinstall fresh copy of Vista to get rid fall the Dell bloatware.

I have 3 gigs of ram and a core 2 duo, even with some bloatware I shouldn't be having my computer freeze up

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

FYI: in the Process tab all your tasks should add up to ~100%. System Idle Process is essentially unused processor. Does your CPU hang at 100% in the Performance tab?

And I agree on the excessive bloatware/crap running, if you reinstalled using the Dell restore disks you will get all the same crap you had before. You have to remove it yourself.

5. more off

more off Moderator

damn

do you have alot of programs running ? because 90+ processes is excessive

my 64bit vista ultimate only has 51 processes and i'm running mozilla, pidgin and a couple other programs right now.

6. more off

more off Moderator

:werd: i forgot about those restore CDs :mad:

just find a regular vista CD and use your dell key

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i have a dell laptop with vista and quite a bit of stuff installed (no bloatware though) and im only at 60 processes, so you definitely got some excessive stuff running on there.

according to the individual processes you don't even have 100% cpu usage though (because of system idle as the other guy said). you probably have malware on your computer.

8. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

The dell Restore disk gives you the option to just install windows clean if you want. I got Ultimate, so I didn't use their disks. Also, you can't just use another disk and try to use the Dell Key. Won't work.

In the processesta, t will add up to 100, but if you notice, the bottom has CPU usage percent%. Yes, when it starts to freeze, the performance tab is at 100% cpu as well.

9. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I'll need to look into my processes

10. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

uninstalled a couple of things Seems NBC's player, which allows you to watch their shows online, has some media stuff in it. I still have 80 processes upon a fresh restart though.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

On my Vista Business test machine at work, I have 52 processes and 512MB RAM usage after a fresh boot. The machine has Office 2003, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, Rainmeter, and a few other goodies installed, but no civilian crapware on it. That should be a good benchmark

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what i don't understand is why that says 100% usage. that is 46% because 54% is the system idle process. so, your system should be 54% idle right now.

13. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

True Maybe it was jumping. B/c when it goes to 100%, i feel it. I can't do shit. Do you guys think the CPU could be giving out? Sometimes my laptop feels pretty hot, which seems to coincide with the suggishness, but I'm not for certain.

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Well, heat is also a byproduct of work so it could be just that your system is chugging along on something.

15. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

:ugh:

Why not? Works on most other brands.. Throw in Vista Home Premium CD and use the key on the case to install it.

16. SippieCup

SippieCup New Member

If he was running XP, yes that would be the case. The keys from manufacturers would only work with the same manufacturer's disks..

however, for vista it works slightly differently, retail keys can only work with retail DVDs and OEM keys online work with OEM disks.

that means you can use whatever OEM disk you want, and the key will still be valid. you just cant mix and match between OEM and retail.

17. Hate Crime

This is not true. OEM keys work with retail dvds, as do volume license keys and vice versa.

18. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

try Spybot search & Destroy.it has always done good things for me. btw I have 93 running proc's right now m my lenovo tablet and lm at 35% RAM usage and 18% CPU. I guess it's all of IBM's silly crap that they install

19. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I'm starting to think I may have a virus, but symantec Endpoint is not picking anything up. Done 2 full scans now. Thinking about going back to an old drive image....

20. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Hmm. Computer is flying again. I moved a drive image off from the D: b/c windows image restore needed it on a separate drive. Now I have 20 gb free on my D: and it seems to have made my computer faster. Doesn't make sense to me b/c the C: still has the same 5 gb of free space.

Could this have changed anything?

21. Hate Crime

:ugh2:

22. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Is 5.85 gigs of free space not sufficient? It started out with 30...Sp1 and all the updates are huge.

23. awns729

awns729 New Member

Your hard drive should be < 70% full or you'll notice a decrease in performance. But that shouldn't impact your 100% proc usage.

Also, I don't fully understand what you did. Is your D drive a recovery drive with a Windows image on it? and your C has your windows installaton and all your stuff?

24. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

C: is windows drive. D: is Data. It's a laptop, with a 160 GB HD. I put the windows Image on the D:, but when I tried to load it, it wouldn't find it on the D: I guess it looks for it on an external drive or DVD.

25. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's no point having two partitions on a single drive, it just slows things down because Windows can't read from both partitions simultaneously like it expects to.