GUN Coyote hunting in my back yard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sportec17, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

Well yesterday i was bored as hell but had to stay home and take care of our new pup...So i thought i'd go out and shoot some .22 for a little while.

As i was setting up a target i heard some coyotes fighting at the bottom of a ravine(steep, extremely brushy hill that opens up at the bottom). So i ran back in my house and grabbed my .17(centerfire), and a game call. I stopped to call about 75 yds up from the bottom, after about 2 minutes of calling a coyote runs out of some brush and i shot once and dropped it, or so i thought, but the cover was so thick i couldn't even see it. To make the long story short, i chased that thing around in the brush for 30 minutes without getting a good 2nd shot at it so decided to leave it for this morning. It had crawled at to die so it was easy to find.

The thing that surprised me was that the little 25 grain hollowpoint left a 3 inch in entry hole and a 3-4 inch exit hole, i'm thinking the bullet must have hit some shit and started to expand before it hit the coyote...?

I'd post pictures but no digital camera.

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

sweet, a dead yote is a good yote

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

most likely, if you were to examine the wound, you'd find that you struck bone. bone fragments become little projectiles by themselves, and even if the round doesn't fragment, yaw, or expand, they do a significant amount of damage on the way through and out of a body. What a lot of people confuse for the action of the bullet is really the action of the body's own parts flying through itself.

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I disagree, I think the .17 Remington is an alright caliber to use for varmint hunting, provided that you're skilled enough to use it, especially if you plan on selling the furs and want as little damage to them as possible. I do agree that a .22-250 would be a better choice though, mainly for the wider selection of bullets and cheaper price.

5. Goat

I don't think it'd be that bad with a heavier bullet, around 30 or so grains, but after looking around it seems the largest you can get is 25, which isn't that bad, but still kinda sucks. After really looking at it I can understand why this caliber never caught on :hs:

Also, I've never heard of wild boar being considered varmints other than in Hawaii, where the hell are you? :eek3:

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

17 HMR can pack some punch, but you said centerfire, not familiar with those..

204 ruger > 220 swift > 22-250 > 223 > * .. for varmints

7. Goat

.223 & .22-250 > 204 Ruger > 220 Swift

.223 and .22-250 offer a wide range of performance, especially with the heavier bullets with buck wind much better than .20.

.220 Swift is kinda like .17 Remington, it's not an awful caliber, but it's slowly becoming obsolete.

I've been toying with the idea of building a varmint rifle this summer, and after looking at it I'm leaning towards .22-250, or possibly having one reamed .22-250 AI.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  8. Goat

The strangest thing we have here (Wv) is coyotes, which have just recently started to migrate here in the past few years. They're not nearly as abundant as they are in the Western states, but it's amazing how fast they're spreading.

And I can't say I've ever had wild boar, sounds fairly tasty though :big grin:

9. footratfunkface

no, it's not. he was asking if you've TASED, not TASTED a wild boar. it's not a very good meat.

we watched a video in class of a call where a kid was shot in the shoulder with a .22-250 by his father. negligent discharge on a hunting outing. the wound had basically stopped bleeding heavily, and was just oozing plasma mostly, but it looked like somone had taken about two icecream scoops' worth of flesh right out of his shoulder. no bone visible or broken, and he still has pulse, motor, and sensation in that extremity. he was lucky. wasn't crying either. he was airlifted to the hospital, though, because they were out in the desert.

10. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

" 'tis but a flesh wound!"

where in the shoulder was the kid shot? there are a lot of bones and nerves there, lucky kid

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

100 bucks will get you a sweet Nagant, a box of shells, a scout scope and mount and one very dead coyote. Also an SKS would be a good coyote gun. I will be taking both of mine out to hunt coyotes this spring.

(btw, FINALLy got that damn bayonet off mine. Took a chopsaw and a torch, but it's off)
    [​IMG]

12. Goat

God damn :eek3:

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I don't think I'd trust a rifle/mount/scope combination that's only $100, firearms and scopes are one of the few areas where most of the time you actually do get what you pay for.

14. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I dont suppose anyone on here knows of a rifle range in Southern California? I've been looking for a while and havent found any.

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

You may not, but thousands do. :bigthumb:

mine has never had a problem yet after 1000 rounds. Still zero'd and it's definately a beater gun.

(although the same can't be said about my shoulder)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  16. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

:rofl: I know its a stretch, I was lucky to find a handgun range nearby.

17. raj100

raj100 New Member

There's one on the Angeles Crest Hwy. There's also one On San Frasquito (SP?) near Valencia. If you're more south that that then I dont know... maybe in the Palm Springsish area.
    if(typeof(dstb)!= "undefined"){ dstb();}

18. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

what did you kill the coyote for?

19. Goat

Coyotes kill livestock, pets, and are generally a nuisance.

20. footratfunkface

it was chasing off all the roadrunners.

21. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

Well mainly just because i felt like it :fawk:

But around where i live the average sheep herder loses about 150-200 sheep a year. While they think most of the deaths are from coyotes, i'm not so sure...but a large number of them are because of yotes. I don't remember exactly how much that equals out to in dollar amount, but way more than you'd think.

...and my shot was good(little bit high), coyotes aren't the easiest animal to kill.

22. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

:fawk:

but seriously, the only people I know that hunt, they only kill shit that they can eat, not for the whole "sport" of it, but then again, I don't really live where people herd sheep and coyotes are a nuisance

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Out here we have had coyotes try to carry of a 1 yo kid from a back yard just last year. They multiply fast and are not too fearful of humans so to protect livestock, pets and children, they need to be cleared out around the farms and towns. Prairie dogs are the other varmint that are open season. Those damn things are just murder on farmland.

24. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

I know firsthand how well a .223 works on coyotes. :o The reason I bought my first AR several years ago was because a good friend of mine and some of his friendsused to hunt coyotes at his parents farm and he wanted me to get a gun to go with them. All of us except one guy used AR's, the remaining guy used a Ruger Mini 14.

25. RT/TSI

RT/TSI New Member

My buddy and I shot a coyote once.

Ruger 458 + coyote= where did it go :rofl:

there wasnt much left, we shot a possum with it too :bowdown: overkill RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!