COMIC Cowboys and Aliens scandal

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by axio, Jan 11, 2007.

1. axio

axio New Member

Thoughts?

If you don't know wtf I'm talking about: http://www.comicscrew.com/?p=186

Basically a company paid retailers to dump their product for cheap just so they could snag the #1 graphic novel of 2006 title so they could land a movie deal out of it.

2. Disguy

Disguy Batman > Moon Knight OT Supporter

I knew that romo wasn't that good of a QB. Fucking aliens kill kennedy and now they are messing with football. ARE THERE NO LIMITS:madfawk: !!!

They are after me now. :hammer:

3. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

i hate to say it...

cliffs?

4. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

so the space cowboy is real?

5. axio

axio New Member

dawt

6. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

oh

reading comprehension > me

7. Kurt Wagner

Kurt Wagner New Member

Cliffs of Cliffs? :mamoru:

8. kia

kia New Member

Uhmm... I don't really see what the problem is. Do people get mad at DC comics for their 10 cent Batman issue or 12 cent Superman issue from a few years back? I also remember seeing the first part of Superman:Four seasons at Barnes and Nobles for a quarter. Heck, Best Buy uses Loss leaders like cheap cd's and dvd's to get you to their store in order to buy expensive stuff like HDTV's and stuff. So what makes it OK for DC comics to sell their comics at a loss but not Platinum?

IMO, The comic industry needs new and creative ways to sell comic books, a way to Grow the market instead of selling a million different superman comics to the same people over and over again.

Granted, it seems Like Platinum didn't tell the whole truth on HOW it got to be the number one Graphic Novel for 2006 and they SHOULD be raked over the coals for that, but what Platinum is doing IMO seems to be legit and no Different then Kelloggs paying money to the Grocery store to put cheerios at eye level instead of at the bottom with Circle-o's.

9. Jaythe4th

Jaythe4th New Member

I think the issue is more the fact that they weren't trying to be new and creative and sell comics at all, they just wanted the money from a movie deal.

They don't care about the quality of their comics, the effects on the industry, or even the quality of the movie; the guy at Platinum mentioned on his blog that even if its awful they'd make a lot more money than they would selling comics over the next five years. That could set a terrible precedent for small time publishers.

10. axio

axio New Member

Right now comic movies are popular, so rather than pushing to have quality made into movies you are seeing crap comics being churned out in an effort to be turned into crap movies. This is just like the speculation market of the '90s.

11. kia

kia New Member

But what they're doing, at least in regards to comics IS a new and creative way to sell comics. and it IS true that one horrible flop of a movie (House of the Dead) has made more money then The Ultimates. So if you have a chance to make millions in a movie why not take that chance? It already happens pretty regularly in regards to books. If the comics are bad then they won't be optioned into movies. Marvel has pretty much confirmed that their business plan is to make as many comics as they have into movies.

Btw, I've gotten a chance to read all the various links and I've come to the conclusion, It's not the crime that kills you, its the cover-up.

Nothing Platinum is doing seems to be inherantly bad, its how Platinum is acting. When DC comics did their 10 cent comic everyone knew it was a loss-leader to get people to buy more comics. Wizard even did a big article about it. Platinum did the same thing but tried to hide their shenanigans and when caught, rather then let out a Mea Culpa, posted angry rantings on their blog. Unless they do something to control their image I don't see Platinum lasting very long.

12. Jaythe4th

Jaythe4th New Member

Its not just going to be a matter of Platinum not lasting very long. It could result in comic movies just having a terrible stench about them that nobody in Hollywood will want to take a chance. Will your average producer know the difference between Cowboys and Aliens and The Watchmen? They're going to care about the bottom line, and if crappy comics get turned into crappy movies, they'll have a negative effect on the entire genre and its the fans and the people who give a damn about their art who are going to get hosed in the long run.