TAT Coverup tattoos - ink colors

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by ceas, Apr 3, 2004.

1. ceas

ceas New Member

I was wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with coverups.. I am currently designing a back piece for my wife, but need to coverup a small chinese symbol that is about 4-5 years old. It is a gradient of red to yellow, with a black outline (not very thick at all, but I am not sure of the needle size offhand).. Which colors will cover this over without allowing it to bleed through later on (as a general rule).. The new piece will be mostly all greyscale, but red can be incorporated if it covers up the old tattoo better..

ceas..

2. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

darker colors over lighter colors... colors will not "bleed through" but the pigment is translucent so a lighter colors on top of a darker color will not work, but it will visa versa

3. Two toys

Two toys New Member

nickos.. i dont doubt you but i could have sworn i saw a black tattoo covered up with white ink in a few spots the places where the white ink was seemed to be on top of where the old tat was.. can this be possible or is my memory dead?

4. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

id say it wouldnt be possible. and red ink wouldnt be a good choice to cover with. no matter how dark the red is, from experience at my shop red doesnt cover well.

5. ceas

ceas New Member

Thanks for the advice. I guess the only reason that I asked was because i've seen several black coverups on people where you could see the old design "ghosting" through. Bad artist perhaps?

ceas..

6. Grape_Ape

Grape_Ape OT Supporter

Speaking of which, and just out of curiosity. Couldn't they make pigment color inks to do just this? :dunno:

7. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

i think if they could they would have already

8. Grape_Ape

Grape_Ape OT Supporter

Can't be that hard, got computers that can create almost any color if given a sample :dunno: