TAT covering a scar vs not covering a scar

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by 12xalt, Nov 6, 2009.

1. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

So, I know after talking to an artist that touched up a tat for me a few years back that the peice I want done on my back would work well for covering up the surgery scar I have there.

The scar is 16 years old, so I'm not worried about it changing, it's set by now.

What I want...

[​IMG]

modified to different colors (green/purple/blue), change the face so it's softer, etc

I've wanted this for about 7 or 8 years now, but haven't done it because I'm just too stubborn with my money :o

Now though, I have some money (car accident settlement) and a cousin who would do the work for free (I would pay her, though she says she won't charge family). I've seen the work she's done on her brothers and trust her to do a good job.

But, now, I'm not sure I still want it on my back to cover the scarring. I had at one time thought to cover the scars on my breasts from my reduction as well. Anymore though (for the past year or two I suppose) I find that my scars are part of me and tell a story and show what I've gone through.

Just not sure what to do, torn, she'd look so amazing on my back with the train of her gown across the top of my hip :sad2:

2. ERabbit

ERabbit OT Supporter

word of advice, just because it's your cousin and you "think" she'll do a good job, I would look into several other artists and show them your idea first

the last thing you want is to regret something like this because you went with a family member who would do it for free or because you were frugal with your money

3. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

she works at a shop and as I said, I've seen some of her work and liked it, and "trust" and "think" are not the same

obviously I don't rush into getting tats or it wouldn't have been 14 years since my last one

and this isn't about who I chose as an artist, if/when I get around to getting the work done, it's about covering or not covering scars and their significance, etc

4. audrey

audrey New Member

I would suggest you check out her porfolio. Have you seen her do similar work? Most artists have a style they specialize in.

5. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

I like the idea of tattooing over scars. My boyfriend has a tattoo on his elbow (spiderweb) and then he got a horrible staph infection on his elbow...after it healed he tattooed over it again, hah.

6. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

This isn't a thread about which artist will or won't be doing the work. Honestly, I posted this down here rather than in the main forum in hopes of a serious discussion, since that's what the subforums are for. I understand the first person who replied pulling away from the focus, but would have hoped after my reply to that person it would flow back into the intended subject.

Please share your thoughts on tattooing over scars and why it should or shouldn't be done for whatever various reasons. Thanks.

7. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

Thank you so much, this is what I was looking for. Either personal experience or what someone thinks of the idea.

So, he had the tattoo there already, and the infection screwed it all up and he had it redone? Interesting. I think I would do that too if I had that happen. I've pretty much ruled out covering the scars on my breasts, they aren't that noticable and I can't really think of anything that would look good and compliment them. But my back, it was a pretty life changing surgery and I just can't decide if I want to leave the scar visible, or cover it with something I find to be beautiful.

8. biomechmonster

biomechmonster Giger ftw

Have you considered putting the tattoo to the side of the scar? Like, so the scar is along the back of the woman?

9. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

If the scar really bugs you, then get it covered or if you really love that piece and the scar will add an interesting visual effect to the piece then get it done.

Like you, I always take a long time between pieces so I won't have any regrets.

10. audrey

audrey New Member

So defensive! I was just giving you good advice. Regarding your scar; it's a bit hard to judge without seeing the scar in question really. Posting the picture of your fairy doesn't help at all.

11. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

This isn't like the main forum where there was already 5 pages of posts to read through and so you may have missed the answer to the same asked question. If you'd read the reply above your original post, it directly relates to the comments you made. Or, I suppose I could have simply quoted myself. :dunno:

The picture of the fairy was posted to show that it wasn't a solid color type of tattoo, it has a lot of movement that can be adjusted to mesh with the discoloration and texture of a scar. I will try to get a picture of my back for better perspective.

12. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

Yeah, I had actually, but the scar goes to just above my bum crack and I wouldn't be able to have her train go below the scar, it would still trail over it. So then, if I cover part, why not cover all. Although, I suppose covering part of it wouldn't be so bad, best of both worlds maybe?

13. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

It used to bug me, I used to hate it, but now it's grown to be a part of me and my history I guess. I'm not sure it would add to the peice though. However, that gives me the thought of maybe finding something that would work with the peice and include it rather than just cover it. Hmmmmm.

And yeah, I'm pretty slow to get work done. The one peice I rushed into (while on tons of pain killers while waiting for my back surgery, lol) ended up needing to be re-done a few years back. I love it now though, so it all ended up being a good thing. Although, when I first got it it was regularly mistaken for a rose (I suppose I'll need to get a pic) and now thanks to the emergance of Harry Potter, it's mistaken for the golden snitch :rofl: (I got it in 1993, HP didn't come out in book form till 97)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  14. biomechmonster

biomechmonster Giger ftw

...and in another thread you're rambling on and on about how everyone should be sensitive and treated like delicate flowers :ugh2:

15. biomechmonster

biomechmonster Giger ftw

I don't see why not, no one said you have to cover all of a scar up. Integrate it into the tattoo if possible. why not.

16. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

:rofl:

I just realized that the trail goes away from the front of her :rofl: I don't know what the frug I was thinking :o

so, yeah, it would work the way you originally suggested :eek3:

hi, my name is dumb, how are you today?

looking again though, I think it's because I've always wanted her flipped the other way with her trail across the back of my right hip, and wasn't making the connection that the whole piece would then be the other way too :uh:

17. MarshyTheKid

MarshyTheKid New Member

I don't know how the scar goes, but if you decide not to cover it, get it on your ribs and you can still have the trail of the gown going over your hips.

18. Proteus

Proteus OT Supporter

I think scars are sexy personally...

That being said, i think it would be difficult to give an actual opinion without seeing
    1) the scar
    2) how/where you were thinking of putting the tattoo

19. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

my friend is over playing wow tonight, maybe in the morning I can get him to take some pics for me

20. troutie

troutie New Member

I have scarring on my arm that I had considered getting covered. At this point, though, it's so much a part of me that I don't even notice it. In fact, I'm kind of shocked when someone else mentions it. I just don't see the need to do it anymore. :dunno: