MMA Couture: UFC Rejected M-1 Global’s Couture-Emelianenko Fight Proposal

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/12/20/ran...1-globals-couture-emelianenko-fight-proposal/

Randy Couture: UFC Rejected M-1 Global’s Couture-Emelianenko Fight Proposal

Posted by MMA Junkie on December 20, 2007 at 9:52 am ET

UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture, who recently resigned from the UFC and is awaiting for his fight and employment contracts to expire with the organization, made a last-ditch effort to organize a fight with former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko.

However, UFC executives turned down the plan, which would have called for a co-promotion between the UFC and the upstart M-1 Global organization.
    That’s the word from Couture, who spoke to our friend Steve Sievert over at the Houston Chronicle‘s Brawl Sports blog.

According to Couture, he didn’t sound terribly surprised that the deal was rejected.

As Randy Couture told Brawl Sports:
    “We got an official offer from M-1 to the UFC to do a co-promotion for the Couture-Emelianenko fight, and they (UFC) rejected that offer. Really, the only thing standing in the way for that fight right now is Dana and the UFC. Obviously, M-1 is happy to do a co-promotion like that. It only serves to help them. I think the UFC is looking at it the other way, and it’s like why do we want to help out another organization? The fans want to see that fight. At some point, you have to put that first.“​
    M-1 Global was recently purchased from Emelianenko’s manager and restructured by a group of American investors. The company’s first order of business was signing Emelianenko to a long-term deal back in October.

As for Couture, he resigned from the UFC in October over what he perceived to be a lack of respect from the organization. He also cited the UFC’s inability to sign Emelianenko as a reason for the resignation. After all, a victory over Emelianenko is about all that Couture, a 44-year-old UFC hall-of-famer, says that he has left to accomplish in his decorated career.

So what’s next for the champ? MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported over the weekend that Couture is simply awaiting for his fight contract (July) and employment contract (October) to expire before he considers other opportunities, including a possible fight with Emelianenko outside of the UFC.

Couture told Sievert what he told us last weekend: that he and his lawyers are under the impression that he’s free to explore outside opportunities once his UFC contract expires in October — a point that UFC President Dana White claims isn’t true.

2. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

I think I hate Dana White.

3. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

i dont understand, the ufc isnt going to make shit off of couture because he is just going to wait it out. Why not strip him of his title and make the fight happen and bank a few million?? Or is it just showing that they will not be pushed around by other companys.

4. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

If they did that they they would make M1 a well known name. They can't risk that :greddy:

5. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

either way it looks like M1 is going to get a Couture V Fedor fight but by then Fedor will have lost and the fight will have 0 hype :(

6. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Dana is trying to build a monopoly. He was mighty close, then those pesky Russian bastards started actin squirrely. The last thing Dana is going to do is legitimize the only real obstacle to his goal by acknowledging that they have something to offer fight fans.

Everyone else in the game has embraced the concept of co-promotion, as a way of making the truly big fights everyone wants to see. Dana still thinks he can wipe everybody else off the map. M1 will solidify their profitability in the Russian and Japanese markets...Dana really can't do shit about that. Either he comes around, or we'll never see truly undisputed world champions in mma.

7. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I hope randy gets to fight fedor

8. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

I joined the Dana White hate train a few years back myself. :wavey:

9. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Theyre crazy if they thought for a second that the UFC would want to do this. As much as i would love to see the fight, it just wouldnt make sense for the UFC to do it; from a business standpoint.

10. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Terrible from a business standpoint.

11. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

If I run the UFC I wouldnt have agreed to it either.

12. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

how do you guys think randy will do in a ring? since thats probably what's going to happen if they end up fighting

13. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Fedor would murder Randy in a Ring.

14. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

I was exaggerating a little but my whole point is that Randys chances of winning the fight go down by a lot if they're in a ring rather than a cage. Randys standup looked good against a brain dead silvia but I don't think it would win randy the fight vs. Fedor. Without Randys clinch game he'd have an MUCH harder time against Fedor; But if they fought right now in a cage I would probably bet on Randy if the odds were in his favor at all.

15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

sucks but of course the ufc would say no. millions of SPike tv fans who line up to buy ppv don't know what the fuck m1 is so why give them exposure by giving them a couture fight and promoting it with them.

16. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Isnt Zuffa already swapping fighters with K1?

17. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

From what I have been reading, it is a fighter swap thing

18. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

did you mis understand my post? of course the UFC wouldn't do this, why give exposture of any kind to a rival (M1) that most bandwagon fans don't even know exists.

19. eyustfu

eyustfu ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

wth is dana thinking? they can make a ton from this.

20. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

not worth it if it exposes another org

21. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

lol, i figured this was the case cause our posts were very similar

22. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

i could see couture fighting fedor in m1 global next year, maybe new years with or without the ufc's involvement. they'll get the exposure they want anyway just by having the ufc heavyweight champion fighting. i'm sure the ufc has some contract preventing that from happening, but the wwe's contract with Brock Lesnar didn't stop him from eventually breaking it. even though he had to go through court to do it.

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

dana white is turn9ing mma into boxing. Shit like this is the reason why boxing has lost alot of its fans and why it went down hill. the promoters and owners of venues clashing heads and keeping the fans from getting the fights they want. You know all of the other leagues and shows dont have a problem holding events together its only really the UFC that doesnt want to do it.

Because of this we have missed out on alot of great fights that would have been insane to watch.

Lidell Vs Wandy in both of their primes
    Fedor Vs Couture

Its just going to get worse as bigger stars rise from the smaller divisions and they dont want to go to the UFC so they are forced to either fight no bodies their whole career or miss out on great fights. This shit is reminding me of why tito trinidad and de la hoya never ended up having their rematch.

Fighting is a spectacle and it revolves heavily on the fan base to give it support and sucess. These pos promoters and match makers need to start realizing that when they screw the fans they end up screwing themselves. IE taking an event thats a main event like lidell vs wandy and waiting so long for it that its not even really main event worthy any more