SRS Cousin is going to Betty Ford clinic

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by l S3RG10 l, Apr 11, 2005.

1. l S3RG10 l

l S3RG10 l New Member

She has always had problems with drinking. Since about age 15 she drinks for one purpose, to get drunk. He father is an alcoholic and it is common in our family. In fact she has an uncle that is on his death bed at age 35 from drinking. He can't even have water at the moment because his liver can't function.

She has ben drunk every single day for the last 4-5 months. no joke.

She realizes she has a problem and asked her very wealthy grandma for help. Grandma gets her into Betty Ford and my cousin will be there in 9 days.

My question is will this help her? My cousin thinks that when she gets out she is gonna be this new person and everything is gonna be fine. Flowers and birds fine.

I think she is going to struggle with this for the rest of her life. Is there any hope for her?

Thanks

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Depends on how much she wants it. If she really wants to get sober, and understands that she will never be able to drink like a normal person again, her chances may be good. If she is very honest, open-minded and willing, she may indeed latch hold of the recovery offered at the clinic and the recovery offered in 12-step meetings afterword.

Getting sober and learning to live life like a normal person is a rough process. I was pretty "done" after being out there in the disease for 7-8 years, but it still wasn't easy. Now I've got 15 months clean, and the road is a little less rocky, but like I said I was rather willing even before I attended my first meeting.

3. wayne and zeus

wayne and zeus oh it will, won't it

She should receive a good foundation for recovery there.

It is up to her to build on that foundation after she leaves.

They will ask her "What are your plans when you leave here?"

My suggestion is further treatment in a "Sober" house or "Halfway house" which are basically apartments designed to offer a structured living environment.

I went to Hazeldon, where Betty Ford herself went. I then went to the Fellowship Club, a sober living house. I used after I got home, because I didn't really want it. This was in 99'.

Now I have to make the decision every day not to use and to go to a meeting. It works.

4. l S3RG10 l

l S3RG10 l New Member

Wow thanks a lot for the help guys.

It's too early to tell what this place is going to bring her back as. Right now I she has plans of coming back and doing the same shit. She has this "boyfriend" who they go out to bars with and shit, she plans on still seeing him when she gets back but I think she needs to stay away from someone like that. anyway thanks