COMIC 'cousin' connotation?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by 01000101, Dec 15, 2003.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

In Sakura Diaries, it mentions that the main girl and the main guy (names escape me, sorry) are cousins. he refers to her dad as uncle, so im assuming they mean they are children of siblings.

My question is, is this considered strange in Japanese culture? because i know that relationships between cousins here are strongly discouraged. is there something im not catching in the anime, or something that i dont understand in the culture? or do i have it all correct and its just something to make the anime different from the form?

Thanks

2. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

its in alot of anime, Kanon is another

3. tom3

tom3 ...

ibklepto :o

4. manixc

manixc New Member

Maybe it's something in the translation. Uncle and Aunt could mean close friends of parents??

5. tom3

tom3 ...

or Mister/Miss. asian cultures (can't say for all of them) extend familial titles to non-relatives and even strangers.

6. Angel Sanctuary

7. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

i have filipino friends who call each other cousins who arent in actuality. they call each others parents auntie and uncle as well. but in japanese context, i think it does refer to them actually being related. its most likely considered to be taboo and therefore :naughty: which most anime/echi love.

8. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Just finished watching the official Sakura Diaries CE tonight. I'm thinking that it's not a mistranslation. It seems that their parents really are related, although since they have different last names the 'in-law' part of brother wasn't stated or wasn't translated.

I'm thinking that it's less of a taboo in Japan than it is here in the States.