GUN Course Review: Tactical Response Fighting Pistol

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Clingman, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

I recently had the opportunity to take this class as Tactical Response made a trip to Bastrop, Texas to teach their Fighting Pistol and Advanced Fighting Pistol classes. Due to my schedule (ie lack of vacation) I was not able to stay for the Advanced class but after taking FP, I will definitely be getting back to take Advanced Fighting Pistol as well. Both are two-day classes.

The course started with a short discussion of safety rules, distribution of the course handout, and discussion of the course objective. From the handout: "Develop basic gunhandling and marksmanship skills with the fighting pistol and increase our understanding of its capabilities at contact distance (0-1 yard), close quarters (1-3 yards), and intermediate range (4-15 yards) encounters. Learn basic tactics related to its effective use designed to afford its operator an advantage whenever and wherever possible. Develop the fighting mindset that cannot only enhance our ability to perform, but diminish our adversary's will to fight.

Once we got on the range, students all cleared their handguns and were instructed on how to draw from the holster. This was taught as a three step process: 1, lift cover garment (if necessary) with both hands and get your fighting grip on the gun with strong hand while weak hand stays on chest 2, get both hands on gun in the retention position 3, extend while simultaneously acquiring the front sight and getting it on target. This required a few repetitions for everyone to get right. Then, we started shooting dot drills with a holster/reholster for every drill.

The TR instructors brought a large jug of snap caps and everyone was expected to use them. Malfunction clearances are a big part of this class and everyone was expected to have a snap cap in every fresh magazine. This is a dynamic class, ie you will MOVE every time you draw your gun and you will MOVE some more anytime you have to reload or otherwise fix your gun. Imagine someone is coming at you with a knife when your gun goes down. Will you stop and stand there looking at your gun while you fix it? The natural tendency is to do just that. But to save your life you have to MOVE out of the way of your attacker, and keep your eyes on him as you get your gun running again.

TR also teaches the FAST method (fight, assess, scan, tac load) and you will do a 361 degree threat scan and a tac reload after every drill. To do the scan, both positions "sul" and "norte" are taught, and students are encouraged to mix the two positions up as neither will always apply to your circumstances.

Non-diagnostic techniques for clearing type 1 (fail to fire), type 2 (fte or stovepipe) and type 3 (double feed) were taught and practiced over and over.

The class builds on itself, so as we were taught to shoot from multiple positions (standing, kneeling on one or both knees, supine, and prone), we were still simultaneously clearing malfunctions constantly. Cover was set up and following a short discussion on cover vs. concealment, we were taught how to effectively use cover while using all the techniques from earlier in the class.

Day 2 began with a 4-hour lecture on mindset. The lecture, and accompanying section in the course handout, are worth the price of admission alone. It included outstanding discussions of mindset, controlling fear, situational awareness, layers of response, and MUCH more.

Live-fire exercises on day 2 got interesting! There were many drills forcing us to shoot on the move, and fight to cover. Then, one-handed shooting came into the mixture, followed shortly by one-handed moving drills, and one-handed malfunction clearances. Ever tried to reload or tap-rack with only your strong hand, or clear a stovepipe with one hand? It's interesting, but I now know the best way to do it. (Weak handed, one hand malfunction techniques were covered in the AFP class).

The class ended with a "special" drill that was a very important test. If I discuss the "special" drill in any detail I will be hunted down. Suffice it to say that it was a good drill.

These are just the highlights. Much more is covered in the course than what I discussed here. The class is 9-5 both days.

When the class was over, James Yeager yanked an M82 out of the back of his truck and we all had a go at it. We all stuck around and bullshitted for a while and then I had to head home.

This class costs $400 and is worth every penny. Total rounds fired were around 900. The instructors, James Yeager and Jay Gibson, were top notch and have stout credentials. We managed to talk them into coming back next spring to teach their Fighting Rifle class. I can't wait (literally... I may go up to Camden TN where TR is based and take the class there)!

Details on the course can be found here

Other reviews and pics from this particular class can be found here. You will have to register. PLEASE READ THE RULES FOR THAT FORUM. It is the real deal and the vast majority of people on there carry guns for a living.

2. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Sweet. Will read later.

3. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

hmm, i haven't read all this yet, but i didn't know anything like this existed in bastrop. i might have to check this out, depending on the review you gave.

4. Clingman

The course was on private property owned by one of the students. PERFECT place for this type of training. It was beautiful out there.

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Typical review for TR. I'm looking forward to being able to converge money and time to take some of their classes myself. I've been working on getting a few people together here, but sadly in democratic New England, people and places to do this sort of thing are spread a little thin. I'll probably end up in a caravan to Camden.

Thanks for the AAR!

6. Didact

Didact I have no idea what I'm doing

This is concerning Tactical Response from Camden, TN?

Ya know, it's only a short drive from me -- always wondered how those classes where. I'd really like to attend one.

7. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

was talking to a buddy about doing the Thunder Ranch thing :x:

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Thunder Ranch teaches you how to shoot.

Tactical Response teaches you how to curbkick the badguy, fuck his sister, play football with his father's skull, and bond his mother into clothes folding, floor-scrubbing, dishwashing servitude for life.

That is to say they teach a win-the-fight-against-any-odds attitude rather than just shooting.

9. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Same here. My girlfriends step-dad and I are seriously thinking about taking one or two next summer.

10. Didact

Seriously, if ya'll come down I'll sign up too.

11. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Awesome. I love training :bowdown:

But where the fuck was my invite you son of a bitch?

12. Clingman

Fucker I can't even get you to go to the range in Houston! And you want to go to Bastrop? That's like 2 hours away, you never would have made it! YOU call ME next time you wanna go shoot :eek3:

You guys that live close to Camden, I am incredibly jealous. If I lived close I'd be camped out in the damn team room every weekend! (TR has a team room that you can stay in while taking classes)

Kellyclan pretty much has it right... when a bad guy comes looking for a VICTIM and gets a violent FIGHT instead, bad guy gets shut down. According to Yeager, 25 of his students have been in gunfights, and 24 have prevailed. The one was executed in front of his wife and daughter. Wasn't carrying his gun.

13. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

It'll depend on his work schedule for the summer, but if we do end up doing it I'll shoot you a PM.

14. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I took their High Risk Contractor Course Prep Course. It was basically the highlights from both Fighting Pistol and Fighting Rifle, tucked into one. I've got an $800 credit with Tactical Response, so once I get the wife up to speed, we've got a free course that we can take together. Fighting Pistol is DEFINITELY going to be the first one.

The class may seem expensive until you realize that Tactical Response is one of only a handful of top-tier instructional institutions in the nation. Regardless of your opinions of their instructors, including Yeager (he has a controversial background), they know what they're teaching, and they teach it extremely well.

Combine that with the fact that, in addition to the class, you're getting a network of people on whom you can count to help you out, and you've got a great deal. Yeager, while disliked by many, will go the distance for a friend or a student. He'll help you out if you need it. And it's not just him. His instructors, his students, they're all of the same caliber. It's a network of alumni and instructors that all share the same bond. Yeager has a history of giving free classes to people who have showed exemplary behavior, as well as to his worst critics. He has opened up his home to all the Camden students. The lower floor of his house is furnished and stocked for students to stay and crash during classes. You don't need to stay at a hotel if you don't want to. That alone saves tons of money in Camden. The bond that you form with your classmates is also an immeasurable asset. When you stay with your classmates, you train better, as a group.

If that weren't enough, every year, Tactical Response hosts an Alumni Weekend, where ALL past alumni of Tactical Response classes are invited to train, free of charge, for the weekend. Each year, the weekend has a different theme, but the theme is applied to all aspects of Tactical Response classes. Meaning, medical, pistol, rifle, mindset, long range, vehicles, etc.

When you train with other companies, you get great training. Then you go home. And you still probably pay as much as a Tactical Response class. Now, ever instructor has a different take on things, so definitely try to diversify your training some, especially in the beginning. That's the only way you'll really figure out what works for you.

15. smartypants

smartypants New Member

That sounds like a lot of fun.
    Good review as well - Thanks!

16. footratfunkface

It is certainly fun. But don't just think of it like that. Fun is the side benefit. It's hard not to enjoy this type of training. But remember that it is just that- training. It's preparation for life. For saving your life, or that of others. It is fun, but remember to take it seriously. If you haven't had this type of training before, seek it out. You owe it to yourself and your family. Think about all the things you spend money on that matter so much less than quality training. If you can't spare a couple thousand dollars a year to train, but you're buying a new gun, or a cool new computer, or something to make your car go faster or look better, you're cheating yourself.

17. Section8

Section8 .

Excellent review - thanks for posting. I need to look and see if they ever travel to do classes around here...

18. footratfunkface

I'm sure they do, but if they don't, or don't have one scheduled anytime soon, host one. They have info about hosting classes on their website. The plus to hosting? Free training for the host.

19. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Long time, no post.

I'm glad you enjoyed the class and learned a lot.

I hope you are able to take Advanced Fighting Pistol next time we are around. AFP makes Fighting Pistol look like an NRA First Steps class.

If anyone has questions on training in general or our training specifically I'll check back on this thread to provide some answers.

20. Didact

Ah, they just emailed back and said more classes will be posted up later this week.

Most definately signing up for next fighting pistol class.

21. footratfunkface

Thanks for coming back over, Shay.

22. James Yeager

James Yeager New Member

I finally made it. I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words.

We have 4 (or more) classes in Bastrop in 2008. We will be in New England too and about everywhere in between.

23. Didact

Hey on a side note, I ordered a few items from Tactical Response's website. No lie, I placed the order late Monday night, pulled a 36 hour shift and dammit it was in my mailbox when I headed back to town on Wed.

They have my business from here on.

24. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

ae check?

25. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Who exactly?

Anyway, today I added an Immediate Action Medical class in Mingus, TX (near Dallas / Fort Worth). It will be hosted at the TacPro Training Center.

There will be plenty of training opportunities in TX next year.