couple vids that always change perceptions of big tourbikes

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Vermincelli, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Always get a kick at watching these
    Great to send people who think big cruisers/tourbikes are slow and unwieldy too... ;)

First is Yellow Dragon driving his Goldwing through Deal's Gap followed by another video chasebike Goldwing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
    He demonstrates how a big tourbike in skilled hands will put many sportbikers to shame. Too bad he sold it and moved on from the Gap to find something "more challenging".

Then you have a whole series of these. Police motorcycle challenges.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prJnJWW2JII

(actually there are a few schools that teach police techniques to civilians. A more advanced class than the MSF courses. Worth every cent if you can find one no matter what size or style of bike you ride)

2. aCab

aCab New Member

shit.

3. pitchblue

pitchblue New Member

respect

4. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Holy shit, that guy was hauling ass.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

He used to do videos for other riders at the gap. Had 2 goldwings with video cams mounted up and he would follow riders through and tape them.
    Funny to think that some kid on a sportbike's thinking "I am awesome and I'll have a video to show my buds I am" and then everytime he looks in the mirror, there's this big tourer right on his ass and the rider looks bored. :rofl::rofl:

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd almost feel safer doing that shit on a tourer. Much less twitchy, lower center of gravity, but not as relaxed as a cruiser.

7. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

What happens if you scrape the undercarriage? Game over?

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

you end up having a nice sparkler effect.
    I've already gone through 2 sets of footpegs on the Venture from dragging them.
    That's the funny sound on the Gap video. You can not only hear the running boards on the chase bike grinding away but you can hear Yellow Dragon's as well. (he said that he's gotten his down so far that they were like razor blades on the edges)

9. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

It doesn't unload the wheels and make you slide out?

10. aCab

aCab New Member

Most have springs on them. Not sure about a cruiser.

Why do you think most bikes have those littler feeler screws on the end of the pegs? Those are easier to replace than the peg itself.

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

not unless you are leaning it so far over that you would lowside anyways. When I start scraping, I know I have about another 7-10 degrees to go before I'm to that point. The pegs/floorboards are spring loaded so you have some give. You would be pretty suprised at just how far a Goldwing or in my case my venture can lean before i touch the pegs.

Mine gives me alot of clearance actually, and if I know the ride I'm going on is going to be heavy twisties, I will take off the engine guards to give me even more clearance. Consider that the bike is 770lbs, I'm 270lbs and then g forces on top of that, things will bend/grind to nubs before the bike unloads the wheels.
    [​IMG]

My biggest problem though is my tires. I've gotten so far over that I've chewed up the ridge between sidewall and tread. Finding good sport tourer tires in my size and weight capacity is a bitch too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  12. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

That's what I used to think, too, until the first time I dragged the metal part under the floorboard on my scooter. I heard and felt it drag, but it didn't upset anything. I even double-checked the metal for scrapes when I got home, and sure enough, fresh scrapes. Piaggio BV200, by the way, I think I still have the first post after the OP on the "Post Pics of Your Bike" thread. I wonder if my old neighbor was ever embarrassed that he had bigger chickestrips on his Ninja 600 than I did on my 200cc scooter :mamoru:

13. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

eh, my dad managed to pick up his front tire by dragging valve cover on his BMW R100S at a track. resulted in a lowside. of course, it was mounted pretty solidly.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

I've dragged a footboard.........first time scared the shit out of me and threw some nice sparks. Other than that it folded up like it's designed and I pushed it back down when I straightened up and everything was fine.

15. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

i remember reading about how yellow wolf, as well as the guy filming him in that video, have delrin sliders mounted on all parts that will scrape. so theyre actually scraping before you normally would

16. deusexaethera

See man, sport bikes are just like sports cars; you know they can handle a lot, but in most people's hands the only thing they're going to do that a tourer can't do is speed up fast and look cool. Because tourers don't have the same flashy appearance, people instinctively assume that means they can't handle as well either. But since a slip in a car can make you spill your coffee whereas a slip on a bike can kill you, the companies that make any kind of bike know that their product has to be capable of handling instinctive, emergency manuevers which put the bike under as much stress as (if not more than) the most spirited riding that any reasonably-skilled rider can come up with. So just because it looks big and heavy, and probably is big and heavy, doesn't mean it can't handle an emergency double-lane change.

One of my friends had a Triumph touring bike; I don't remember the exact model, but the thing weighed close to 500lbs as I recall. I followed him a couple of times, and I couldn't believe the speed he took some corners. He's definitely not as skilled as the guy in those videos, but he came pretty damn close to dragging knee a few times.

17. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I thought it was a pure ground clearance issue. Isn't there some photo series out there of a guy on a Harley eating shit after he scrapes the undercarriage during a turn?

I mean, after seeing that video, I'm sold, but before I just didn't think that was possible.

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

there are a bunch of pics of people lowsiding on the gap from that. Those are usually when you've gotten so far over though that the exhausts hit and by that moment they've already gone to far and instead of decompressing the suspension, it pivots the rear wheel right off the ground completely.

19. deusexaethera

Which is why properly-designed bikes have the exhaust either under the center of the bike, or so far up on the back end that the bike would have to be on its side before it would scrape.

20. BMH

BMH New Member

shit the best in west cop has some serious skills,that might even be hard to do on a 125,let alone a big ass goldwing(or big bike)

21. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

with tourbikes that is properly designed for exhaust pipes. You can't put the exhaust up like you do on sportbikes due to the full side cases/trunk.
    Course you aren't "supposed" to be dragging your knee through the canyons on a tourer either ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  22. danonboost

danonboost I invite you

Clearly have never done any riding or taken a physics class.

23. danonboost

danonboost I invite you

Badass video btw. That's nuts.

24. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

How long have you been riding for?

25. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

:dunno: It's all about the rider, and the years of experience. These guys didn't just hop on these huge bikes and try to start the follow vid business...