GUN couple stages...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Oct 3, 2009.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

opinions and critiques are appreciated.

First one starts in box A w/ gun on table. Shoot 'em as you see 'em.

[​IMG]

Second one starts in either box A or box C, must shoot arrays from their respective boxes. Box B is 5 yards from it's array, A and C are 7 yards. Mandatory reload between arrays

[​IMG]

2. In the first one, if it's your intent to make the shooter move both to the right and left after going through the door you're going to have to extend those "wing" walls pretty far forward otherwise it's going to be easy to see all those targets on both sides from a single position. One thing I've learned through designing a few stages and setting up many of them is that you generally need more walls than you think, and you have to extend them further than you think, to act as vision barriers if you want to force people to move.

3. Crossett

Crossett New Member

Not having ever shot in a match before can you tell me what the symbols on the targets mean? I assume one is friendly and one is enemy, but what are the rest?

4. The ones with X on them are no-shoots. The ones with black on them are marked to show where the non-scoring zones are. Any hits in the black (they'll spray paint that portion of the target black) don't count at all. Hits on the black are the same thing as a miss.

5. Crossett

Crossett New Member

ahh, :coold:

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

On the first stage you don't need more walls all you need is careful use of hard cover and no shoots. All you have to do to position a no shoot in such a manner than it is risky not moving side to side. I think this is a better option as someone can always roll the dice on a tighter shot or really move the feet and go to both sides.

When I build stages I'm big on rythum. Set up the targets so there is something to shoot when moving from side to side. On the left hand side switch up the partial hard cover so it is on the inside instead of the outside.

The second stage is gay. I hate that 3 box shit. Make the stage more freestyle. Either one shooting area engage as you see them. Make use of no shoots in such a manner you can't sweet spot everything from one spot. Loock out a shoot target at 45 degree angle behind a no shoot. This forces people to move to see all the targets. I appreciate the need to use less wall sometimes. They are only so many walls for usage and you got to set them up and put them away. Anytime you can save using a wall with a no shoot that is a wall you can use somewhere else in the match.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about...

[​IMG]

In this stage you start in a box and you have a huge shooting area. There are enough targets that there is no point in sweet spotting the entire stage from one spot. This is a good stage for a big bay and not using any walls. The back array with the no shoots make the shot tight enough that people will move forward before engaging.
    Honestly you don't even need the boundry tape for the shooting area.

[​IMG]

Here is a charge line stage. Disregard the individual boxes. In actuality it was one rectangular shooting area, start anywhere in the shooting area. You had to move to several spots to see all the targets because of drums and no shoots. The boxes in the diagram are to show stage builders what the shooting lanes were. I've numbered what you could actually see so you get an idea of how it went down at the match. We use this diagram to teach concepts to new stage builders. I could type a whole novel on how you can design something like this off a diagram and make it work the way it is intended the morning of set up. Or freestyle build something like this the morning of the match and with the use of a carefully placed drum or no shoot force them to move to several spots. There is a whole procedue sort of, complicated stuff.

[​IMG]

Look at T15, and T16. This is what I was talking about with 45'ing a shoot target behind a no shoot. positioned the right way it makes the shooter move just like there was a wall. Your only giving them one lane to engage the target. Disregard the rest of the stage. I just wanted to explain the concept of 45'ing.

You can way over do a stage with too much starting a stopping. It kills the flow of the stage. I like to build stages with lots of movement but you have plenty to shoot while moving. I dislike stages where it's stop in one spot and shoot 2 targets, move to next spot and stop and shoot 2 targets, repeat, repeat. It takes out all the rhytum. Let the shooter float to position to position some targets he has to stop to shoot but inbetween there are targets he can take on the move.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I could move Add a wall or move the array but i'd like to make it more interesting for a wider array of shooters.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Thanks Ray. I like the target angling idea. I may out that to use. I still have the original design so I may try to tweak it a bit.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

On that second stage I'm thinking abt taking out the boxes and doing like you said and adding some no shoots and hard cover. I'll fuck with it More later.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah on the second stage 45 a shoot behind a no shoot on each corner facing out. That way they have to go to both ends to shoot each respective target. Then you can play 45'ing different stuff in the middle to make a extra position or two they have to stop to engage the targets. Give them plenty of wide open stuff too so they have stuff they can shoot on the move.

You can make all sorts of variations with props too. Like give them a 5 gallon paint bucket that they have to carry from one side to another. Some guys will shoot while holding the bucket. Others will set it down to shoot. Some might run the bucket to the other side, then double back to shoot the targets. Just don't go crazy and make the bucket heavy enough that it is a safety concern. I've seen wacky stuff like making the shooter carry a 25lbs sand bag tied to his shooting wrist. There were some scary reloads where the muzzle was just too close to the shooters legs.

11. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Revisions

PP3 activates drop turner, USP1 activates swinger.

[​IMG]

stomp box activates swinger, PP3 activates bear trap

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009