A&P Couple shots from the zoo...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ittech, Aug 19, 2006.

1. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BUT I POOP FROM THERE!

ok so more than a few pictures, but it was ok for a zoo... haven't been to the SF one in forever, still kind of a crappy zoo but better than it used to be.

2. eof

eof New Member

What camera/lens?

3. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

probably 70-200 f/2.8L; 1d mkii n per the EXIF info

[​IMG]

:bigthumb:

4. ittech

yep 1dmk2n, 70-200 2.8 nonIS , some shots are on a tripod some are handheld... you can tell in the exif by what is low iso low shutter and what is high iso high shutter.

I'm actually always remembering to switch all necessary settings before i take off and put on a tripod... shooting handheld at iso 100 1/50 FTL...

having the iso in the viewfinder is so much nicer than checking it incessantly.

5. ittech

btw i also used the flash a lot more than I expected... did a lot of bracketing and shooting with/without flash even on the tripod...

little bit of fill flash goes a long way towards balancing up the shadows naturally and lighting up the animal's eyes.

wouldn't have worked as well at a long distance as it did in bright sunlight, this was a typical SF overcast day...

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

Wow, nice shots!

The lion one is killer.

7. jdiggity

jdiggity New Member

Those are great, really crisp, with nice depth of field.

8. ittech

if you want to see a 100% crop of one of them let me know, they are just as sharp... i'm amazed with how good this shit is when you pixel peep it, my 20D was never this good.

9. Derrict

It could just be the AF system on the 1D bodies that you are seeing better images. The pixel density on the 20D is greater than the 1D MKII N

10. Changed

Changed Guest

11. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

Exactly the reason for the sharper images

12. ittech

omg less pixels ftw? :o

I know how to focus with the 20D as well, the center focusing points are virtually the same with a 2.8 lens. The 1's AI servo is much better but I'm not sure the one-shot af on the center point is. Perhaps the 20D was slightly backfocusing even when manually focused... sensor alignment issue?

also diffraction effects the 1d less than the 20d so you can stop down a bit more before that becomes an issue

13. Derrict

No, only when you are able to fill the frame with the subject. When shooting objects are longer distances, the 20D's 1.6x crop factor compared to the 1D MKII's 1.3x factor gives the edge to the 20D giving all things being equal (in terms of pixel density and detail).

http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/dslrsensors/dslrsensors.htm

14. ittech

I understand... now go tell the 5D guys going nuts over the 12MP that. It's a lot harder to fill the frame with that 200mm to get any benefit from it, though it is an awesome landscape cam.

and subjectively i've been getting better shots with the subject further away (subject 6mp if cropped) than i got with the 20D using all 8mp...

It's really not a massive difference though, I wanted the 1D for more than just long shots, IMO it's the perfect balance between FF issues and 1.6x crop issues. just needs a small bump in MP in the next year or two and that should be it for MP... i'd like to see 16/24bit sensors and higher DR even at 8MP than a 14MP 1.3x cam...

15. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

well for starters, the 5d and 1d II have the same pixel density, so there is no benefit there if you own a 1d vs a 5d with your long lenses.

that is what I was refering to when I said lower pixel density created the sharper images. The 100% crops will be sharper with a given lens at a given aperture because there is less 'digital zoom' I guess you could say. For the total detail, yea the 20d has the advantage but only if the lens is good. This is another reason the 100% crop doesn't mean shit. For most of my shooting, I can fill the frame with my subject, so the larger sensor and lower pixel density is good for me.

16. ittech

Right, I think I'm seeing that as well, but then are we really at the reasonable maximum of the optics at the 20D's 8MP on a 1.6x? I was using all the same good sharp L glass... Maybe if we go higher MP will need to go with L primes to get the really good benefits?

I would think that the 1dsmk2 which is around the density of the 20D would be the maximum reasonable MP/mm of sensor at where going higher would make much less of a difference even when resized down, unless maybe one was making primarily very large prints.

I'd like to see a 20x30 print from a 5D and a 1dsmk2 all other settings the same to see if there really is a big difference or not (no cropping done on either)

If the extra pixels you get by filling the frame on a 5D are in worse areas of any glass (which is true) then I also don't see the point in that extra resolution except for some landscapes where it really wouldn't matter.

I've made a lot of 8x12 to 20x30 prints on the 20D and 10D and were pretty happy with them... now they should be even better so the only thing I have to work on is where to put my feet to get the really great shots. :)

17. Derrict

Slightly off topic from the discussion - are you guys able to find 8x12 or 20x30 frames locally? I can't find them for the life of me; I'd rather not have to buy online and pay shipping costs.

18. ittech

no, not at either faggoty frame store around here...

I order all my stuff online from a couple different places, mainly metal frames that I put together then. I also order the plexi and matboard and everything precut online... very easy that way and maybe 20-40% less than doing it at the ripoff store.

or when i order prints at mpix i'll order them framed and mounted after i know it's a pic that prints well at 8x12...

19. Derrict

I ordered a 20x30 print not even bother looking for a frame first only to realize... no one has a 20x30 frame locally :smack:

I did the same thing when I printed 8x12s. I tried cropping the photos for the 1.25 ratio but none of the photos looked right, so I resized and added a thicker border on the top/bottom for an 8x10 photo.

20. Lancaster ftl, I have seen a couple here at Michaels arts and craft store. I'd say come to dover and get one but I think it would take up your whole car! :o

21. Derrict

I went to Michaels and a few other craft stores; they don't have the 20x30. I eneded up buying 23 x 35 poster board and 2 sided tape :wtc: . The poster board barely fit into my car (bent slightly lol).

22. ittech

minus well get bright colored tape and make a "tape frame" around the print and apply directly to the wall.

just tell people it's the hot new thing in europe if they ask... :mamoru:

23. :mamoru: at least you save a million dollars on gas compared to me... :wtc:

as for the poster board idea... :hsughno: as long as it works :)