couple questions

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Dan3S, May 29, 2007.

1. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

First, my dad just got a new LeMans Blue 2007 corvette ( :bowdown: )

It doesnt seem very waxed at all, and the paint is orange peeled to hell. Is there anything besides polishing (?) that can help orange peel?

I ordered some microfiber cloths, and a washing mit to wash with, (instead of the shitty brush).
    I wanted to wash it tomorrow and i've got these yellow towel things, they are for cars, they are real soft like cottony I think, I usually use them to put on wax. They should be fine for wax right?

For washing, Is an old cotton towel (like a shower towel) thats been washed good, or at least wont scratch? because i wanted to use that to wash it down tomorrow..

And, is meguires #26 yellow wax any good? I have that, and also the cleaner wax. should I put the cleaner wax and then the yellow, or just the yellow?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

1. Polishing won't help orange peel, only wetsanding will.

2. Microfiber only. Seriously. I am sure what you have will work but microfiber gives the best results.

3. Test the towel on an old CD, if it won't scratch that, it won't scratch the paint. However, it goes back to answer #2.

4. #26 is a very good wax, use the cleaner wax first, then apply #26.

3. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

:bowdown: thanks for extracting the questions out of my shitty post

4. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

About how long, by hand, would it take you to do two coats of wax on a corvette? Because it seems to take me forever and my arm wants to fall off by the time I get halfway through doing a car. What could I be doing wrong, or is that just how long it takes?

5. Scottwax

You are doing something wrong if it takes you more than 15 minutes to apply wax and maybe 10 to remove it. Thin layers, thin, thin, thin, I cannot stress that enough.

6. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

Do I have to 'rub it in'? I probably wipe over the same area a few times, should I just sorta rub the rag over it once and thats it?

You need to make an instructional video man, it would be great.

7. Scottwax

Just follow the directions on the bottle, it is that simple.

8. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

OK, well I just washed it. It came out pretty nice and shiny, but there are still some bug splatters on the front end, and some faint water spots on the hood and stuff... Will the cleaner wax take care of them, or should I do something else :confused:

9. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

I tried waxing them with the cleaner wax, and they sort of go away, but are still there. These pictures might be before or after wax probably before.

What do you think I should do about them? Just wax it good with the cleaner wax, or do I have to bust out this "fine cut cleaner" stuff from meguires :hs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Scottwax

Most cleaner waxes clean chemically, you will need a mild abrasive to (hopefully) remove the etching from the bugs.

11. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

like the fine cut cleaner? Is there any risk of putting swirl marks and shit on the paint using that? Do I have to wash the car again after the fine cut cleaner to clean it off or can I just put the wax on after I finish the cleaner?

12. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

I dont know, I tried that fine cut cleaner, and it seemed to take off the water mark, but left a bunch of little scratches intstead :mad: I just used a terry cloth that was just cleaned and wiped it on kinda lightly. :hs:

What about clay bar, a lot of people over at corvette forums are saying clay bar will help? I'm gonna try that and if it doesnt work then I'll just find someone to do it professionally.
    You know anyone up in the MA area thats good at polishing like you are, sir scottwax?

13. Scottwax

Fine Cut Cleaner is not a 'by hand' product, plus you really have to work it in to break down the abrasives. You cannot get good swirl/defect removal results just wiping a polish on, you have to work it in. Get some ScratchX, that ought to remove the fine scratches.

You might want to register at http://autopia.org and click the "learn" icon and start reading. That will give you a more complete overview of detailing than I can do here.

14. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

Yeah, I see. I think I'm just going to try the claybar, and if i cant make any progress with that I will find a pro detailer.

How much would you charge, and what is reasonable,roughly, to polish out the water spots and put a simple coat of wax or whatever on top?

15. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

and do those pictures I posted tell you anything?

16. Scottwax

Corvettes can be pretty expensive to buff out because the paint is rock hard. If there is any swirl removal needed, it will be well over $100 just for the exterior, probably more like $150-200.

17. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

That sounds reasonable to me.

But hey, everyone at the corvette forums keeps telling me to use vinegar to take the water spots out... you ever heard of that? Theres like 10 guys sacriding it over there...

18. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

more time seaching and reading...less time asking 11ty billion questions.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-paint-polish-clinic.html

19. Dan3S

Dan3S New Member

Thanks, will try the vinegar soon. car is in the garage now so it can wait a few days till I get a minute.