Couple questions regarding a new home server.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

First the Hardware.

I bought new MB/CPU/RAM/Case/PSU/Perc 5/i HS/f to build the new server. I'm thinking I went overboard and thought maybe I should use my existing computer as my server with the new Case/PSU/Perc 5/i.

Existing Desktop Consists of:
    4600+ Duel Core AMD *(2.4ghz) Windsor Not overclocked
    ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX Motherboard
    2 Gigs Crucial Ballistix ddr2 800 Pc 6400 ram

The problem with the board is that there is no overclocking ability for it.

New Components:
    ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131330

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF - Retail --

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103194

G-Skill DDR2 800 pc2-6400 2 gigs cl4-4-4-12 2.0-2.1v.
    ThermalRight Ultra-90 HS

Supposedly both this CPU and ram is extremely overclockable.

I've looked through reviews of the older MB and I don't see any problems with raid. Plus I'll be using the Perc 5/i so I don't really see an issue. If anyone has a thought on this I'd like to know.

Second thing is what OS to use. I've said in the past threads I'll be using Windows Server 2008. I got it free through Dreamspark ( :big grin: ). Seems a bit much but if there is no other real option I'm going with it. Suggestions are welcome though.

My third issue is the real point of the thread. So far I have only 2 HD's that are the same make so I can't do any raid 3/5 yet. I'll be putting in 4 HD's all over 300gigs. I'm figuring that for the server's OS hard drive It would be better to have a smaller 100gig~ HD. I was wondering if this HD. http://shop4.frys.com/product/3868547 Would do with only 8mb buffer.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

2. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Didn't know I needed more. I'll get it if needed but not sure if I can mix and match ram. Don't have the cash to throw down on more of that g-skill. Getting more crucial ball. is easy though and that's what I'll be using in the server it looks like.

3. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

you won't need anymore ram or CPU power if its just a file server. My main home server is a Win2k3 Adv (on lockdown) with a E2200, 1gb ram and 16 drives total for 14tb of storage and it sitting currently at 690mb usage.

It's sitting headless in the basement and I TS into only.

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

^ What he said, I used to run my home file/print server off a 1.8ghz cpu and 1GB ram without a hickup. I'm not sure how this changes if you are trying to stream HD video but for normal file sharing you don't need much ram or cpu...