GUN couple questions on NC carry permits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, Aug 4, 2006.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

HI guys, it looks like I may be moving to North Carolina since I got laid off and the most probable job I have on at the moment is in Charlotte. I have a carry permit for Georgia and I understand it is valid there but I have a few questions.

If i move to NC, should I just roll with my GA permit until it expires? (can I do that?)

At some point, immediately or later, I will have to get an NC permit and I understand they require a safety class. Can anyone offer info as to what that course consists of?

Can anyone offer comments on NC law in terms of being required to retreat, incidents on your own premesis, etc?

That's about it for now but any general info would be nice, I'm sure I will come up with other questions as this progresses.

THANKS!

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

AFAIK, GA permits are honored until expiration, but it could depend on your CLEO, so be aware.

The safety class is about what you'd imagine, 8 hours of basic handgun training, very, very basic. I recommend the Personal Defense & Handgun Safety Center's course, simply because the instructor is very entertaining, breaking up the monotony of a repetitive class, not to mention being a dead ringer for Tommy Lee Jones.

Duty to retreat, if memory serves is limited to non domicile scenarios, meaning outside your home, retreat should be your first choice, but like most situations, it just depends...

All in all, not a bad place to live.

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Cool, thanks. I don't even know if I'll end up there yet but that's good stuff to know in case I do.

My permit expires in a little over a year anyway so I may as well get it over with.

Does the NC permit mean you don't have to do the background check when purchasing a weapon? GA's is no longer valid for this :-( so that would certainly be a bonus for getting it early!
    While on that topic, what are the requirements in NC for purchase? Is there a waiting period or anything? I suppose there is a state site somewhere that explains this part....

thanks again

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

In North Carolina, for handgun purchases, a purchase permit is required. Long gun purchases, no permit required.

CCW permits, no background check required for pistol purchases. No waiting period for purchase or CCW permits.

Think that answers most of it.

5. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

just keep in mind Mecklenburg County is not NFA friendly