Couple questions about Swirl removing

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Flea420, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

I have been working in a bodyshop for a year now, done lots of sanding of new paint to get flaws out and such.

Basically all we have is a Electric buffer (a DeWalt), and Meguiers 85 Compound and 82 Polish.

Anyway, I have a car comming on the weekend with fairly fresh paint (6 months or so) with a ton of swirls, and I need to take them out.

I fear that the simple 82 wont get them all the way out. Either it's not the right product for the job, or I'm not that good with a buffer (At work, it seems fairly dificult to get a car to leave swirl free, and I noticed if after polishing a car, I wash it, the swirls come back :o this cannot be the case with this car).

I read that their are 3 stages of polish or something like that?
    I'm just wondering what polish I should go with, we have an account with D'Angelo's and we mostly buy Meguiar products, so anything by them that would help.

This car is Special, and needs to have a mirror shine when it leaves (Unlike most other cars I work on)

Thanks very much.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Go with Optimum's Polishes, worked right with a finishing pad as your last step, your finish should be swirl free. Plus Optimum's polishes have no fillers so what you see is what you get.

If Meguiars is easier to get, I'd start with #83 DACP and follow with #80 Speed Glaze, first with a polishing pad then with a finishing pad at about 900-1000 rpms.

3. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

Cool, thank you.
    I found out today we have the #83 already, and I'll be getting some #80 tomorrow along with some new pads.
    So that combination, if done right, should eliminate the swirls, and even say washing the car a month later, they will still be gone?

4. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

Ya, I hear that. Thats not what I want though with this car.

Any tips as far as doing the polishing? I meen, I dont really have a Technique or anything, I just go at it kinda :rolleyes:

5. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

6. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

so is it better to use a finishing pad with the polish or a polishing pad? is the polishing pad supposed to be a bit abrasive?

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Your final step with a rotary should be with a mild polish and a finishing pad.