Couple questions about good wireless routers w/macs, and transferring files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kirk Hinrich, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

K Im getting a pb in a few days and I have a few qs I want to get cleared up before it gets here. First- What is a good, cheap wireless router that is mac friendly ( maybe they all are? I haven't owned a mac since '98 and maybe compatability isn't really an issue the way it used to be')

Second- What would be the most effecient way to tranfser my files from my pc to the PB. Over a network I guess? It'll be mostly music, movies, and pictures. How do i set up a network between a pc and a mac. Thanks in advance.:bowdown:

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

most, if not all wireless routers will work. I have a linksys wrt54g and it works great!

If your pc has firewire, boot your powerbook into firewire target mode and plug it into your pc. if not, just setup a simple network w/ a crossover cable between the two computers.

3. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

thanks, im not sure how to boot the pb into firewire target mode though. So any linksyns router should do?

4. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

ok im confused again. I looked up that router you postd, and the sytem requirments (at least the ones I found) only are for pc. Is this irrelevant?

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

wrt54g should work fine, though i would recommend an airport express. i actually have both, but since setting up my airport express, i no longer use the WRT54G. the airport express in my living room lets me play my itunes music through my home stereo system and i can also take it with me when i travel so i can have a protected wifi connection at hotels, etc. instead of connecting directly to the hotel's network and relying on OS X's built-in firewall as my sole form of protection from any punks that may be staying at the hotel and poking around for other machines on the network to screw with.

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

hold down the T key after you hear the startup chime on the 'book... it'll act like a firewire disk that can be connected to another PC :coold:

and yes, most any standards-compliant router will work fine for you. I've heard good things about the linux-powered linksys routers :cool:

7. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

I really can't afford the airport stuff though. I thin im just gonna go with linkysys. I live in a neighborhood full of old people who still use typewriters, so I won't have to worry about anyone stealing my connection.:) So am I correct in assuming that I can buy any linksys router, and regardless of the system requirments, my PB will recongize it?

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

yup, they all speak the same standard

also, you don't need to have an airport router to protect your wireless network... changing a few settings will secure it just fine. When you get your router just do the following and you'll be fine:

* turn off SSID broadcast -- makes your router invisible to casual browsing; not completely invisible but stops people from automatically connecting to your network

* change your SSID -- routers have default settings, one of which is the SSID. If you buy linksys your router will identify itself as "linksys" by default, making it trivial for other people to guess the SSID of your router, even if you disable SSID broadcast. changing the name will help keep out casual snoopers.

* turn on WEP -- encryption = teh win.

* restrict wireless connection by MAC address -- this option requires that the physical hardware address of your wireless notebook be entered into the router and acknowledged before it'll let you use its services. If you restrict connection to only your MAC number, others cannot join your network even if they can see it.

I know it sounds like overkill, but I found someone snooping my connection within a day of installing my router... and you don't want to be responsible for what someone else downloads over YOUR internet connection, if nothing else. :) If you have any questions, just make a new thread and I'll hook you up :coold:

9. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

Icy hot, i tried to pm you, but no luck, could u explain how to do all the stuff you listed?

10. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

keep in mind that, while you will be able to use the linksys router just fine with a mac, you may need a PC to run firmware updates.

spend a little extra for the airport express and you won't have to worry about that.