Couple of random noob questions

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by xpinchx, Apr 14, 2010.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I've read all the stickies and I spent like 6 hours on autotopia last night. My car a 2004 Honda Civic 2 door with red paint and the finish is very neglected. Other than the occasional self-serve and ONR washes, and maybe waxed twice, it hasn't gotten any TLC. There are a number of small paint chips, most of which are maybe a few mm in diameter. I plan on touching these up with some touch-up paint I got specific for my car and some clear coat. However I also have this large gash on my back bumper from my roommate not looking while backing out of our driveway next to me.

[​IMG]

Will touch-up and clearcoat-in-a-can work on such a big area? Do you think it would effectively cover it up at least? Also excuse the dirtiness, I'm waiting until it's nice this weekend to start the detailing process.

Also the interior isn't in too bad of shape, luckily I have the rubber "sports" floor mats so the carpet under the mats is pristine for the most part. However the carpet under the trim is disgusting and even after several passes with a vaccuum with various attachments, nothing is coming up. What's the best way to hit these areas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And on a minor note, I've gone through several different mounting set-ups for various GPS, satellite radios, ipod holders, etc. and the result is half a dozen drilled holes in my HVAC unit :rofl:. Aside from removing the now broken phone holder, what are some steps I can take to at least minimize the appearance of the holes? I could file some of the "volcanoes" down, but I don't want to mar up the dash any worse than it already is.

[​IMG]

Anyway, between my tax refund and my birthday money I think I'll be able to finally get a 7424xp and enough supplies to get me started. In the meantime I'm going to start taking care of the interior and get the paint washed, degreased, clayed, and re-waxed.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You'd have to sand the bumper down and refinish it to get it even close to normal looking. The carpet in a Civic is pure crap. You are going to have to use a carpet cleaner, scrub and wetvac to have any hope for a noticeable improvement.

PC will definitely make restoring the exterior a lot easier.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

That dash looks like you're driving a retired cop car!

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

If it were my car, and the carpet near the door sills were that dirty I would pop the plastic trim off and go to town. That's a once every couple years job to do it like that, not a scheduled or regular necessity. But Scott is right, good luck getting that 100% without doing so. The combined budget grade carpet in that proximity to multiple corners, and the amount of sand/hair/etc will make it much tougher.

You could sand the holes down and fill them, prep the plastic and paint the radio/climate trim with SEM and hope it lasts and matches. But for the labor and cost involved you might as well buy a used one off ebay.

Small price to pay to fix something that bothers you. While it would be $10 in materials and less than an hour for someone experienced to do it, the trim piece is probably only $50 in unmolested condition. If you try to remove the highs, you're going to end up scuffing or gouging the surrounding area- creating a new problem while solving another.

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Thanks for all the answers. It looks like most of this stuff I'm just going to have to put off (holes in the trim, gashed paint, and also not picture but *tons* of rock chips on my front bumper. I got this car when I was 17 and I didn't think to take very good care of cosmetic things. I regret that now, but live and learn. It's a 2004 and only has 65,000 miles on it so I'll have this thing for years to come and I'm sure further along the line I'll have enough spare money to get these minor things fixed. In the meantime I'm just going to do my best to prevent any further damage and soon enough I'll have my 7424 to buff out all the nasty swirl marks. :hs:

Whenever I get my next car I'm definitely getting a clear bra. Something about these michigan roads, I guess.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I don't know why I just now noticed where you're located.... if you ever want any help, let me know. :wavey:

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

You might find a junk yard and just try to get all new carpet. That or hot water extractor and BioKleen Fiber Glow