TAT Couple of questions concerning artist\shop

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by TwistedMind, Apr 11, 2006.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I talked to a Artist and hes drawing a traditional dragon up for a shoulder cap on me. He has awsome pencil and paper skills I will give him that.

The concern I am running into is his portfolio leaves something to be desired.
    The work in it isnt bad work. There is just nothing in there remotly close to resembling a dragon. The pictures he does have are all old.

He was straight forward with me though, when I asked to see his book he told me everything in there is at least a year old. Is there a reason why an artist wouldnt update his portfolio?

I went down to another shop and started discussing the same tattoo and he was getting ready to show me his portfolio when the owner showed up. Apperantly the same guy owns both of these shops. Everyone at shop #2 tells me the guy @ shop #1 is the shit when it comes to dragons and I should let him do the work. Shop #2 wouldnt even show me his portfolio after the owner showed up.

So what do I do? I Refuse to have shitty work done, especially something that is going to be this large I just got a wierd vibe that + outdated portfolio and needless to say im nervous.

Am I being stupid? Or should I go with my gut and find another artist to do this work? Its going to end up being about a month long project as I dont have a grand laying around to pay for it all at once.

2. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

im just dont want to be parrinoid. I dont know its hard to explain.

3. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

its not hard to explain. tatoos and piercings are a very life orienting decision. you should not get ink or holes from a place where you arent 110% satisfied with the previous work. and if he doesnt have updates ask him/her why. that is the oddest thing i have ever heard. most artists i know/seen take a picture of everything they do. my artist has it all on computer in a slideshow format. hundreds of pictures of everything he has done.

4. Black98GPGT

Black98GPGT im back....

So,you went to shop #2 and they guys there said that the guy at shop #1 does good work and you should go to him.But you are leary about it because he hasnt updated his portfolio in about a year? Yer whole thing is confusing.

5. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

it kind of sounds like a scam to me but who knows :dunno:

6. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I went back to see what he had drawn up for me and he didnt even draw anything he completly forgot I was comeing back so im going to find another shop. Theres one in Corpus that has a good rep im going to talk to them tomarrow