Couple of comp probs | AVG | FireFox

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by myz, Jun 19, 2004.

1. myz

myz New Member

Was trying to cleanup the comp a bit in hopes of not having to reformat (looks like i'll be reformatting now) well I uninstalled norton because I heard how great AVG was. Started running AVG and all of a sudden a "windows virtual memory" problem came up after about 5 min of scanning. I've got a 1.6GHZ P4 with 512 MB Ram and an 80 gig HD. Anyway I decided i'd use the TrendMicro Housecall online scan. Picked up 2 viruses "Troj Stilen.A" and "Troj Small.GI" deleted those files and rebooted. Everything seems fine for a while then about 30 min later I open a folder and everything on the screen is gone for a second (only thing showing is my wallpaper) then everything comes back except the windows folder and AVG (which was running in the task bar). Anyway I then uninstalled AVG. Everything seems to be running smooth but how long will it last? Haven't reformatted since December. Should I go ahead and backup my music and stuff and reformat? I also bought a Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse yesterday. Would that cause any of the above? Could my Ram be going bad or was the Virtual Memory problem part of one of those trojans?

-Edit

Forgot to add that when I installed FireFox yesterday. After the install I chose the "launch firefox now" option. Played around with it a sec then closed it. When I click it on the desktop it won't open now :(. Uninstalled it and installed it again this morning. Still won't run.

Basically should I just reformat? I'm just worried maybe my ram or something is going bad after getting that virtual memory thing.

thanks for any help

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004