couple noob questions concerning lifting/nutrition...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by squintypanda, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squintypanda

squintypanda New Member

I was wondering,
    1. When doing deadlifts, how low am I supposed to go w/ the barbell during each rep? do I go as low as to where the barbell touches the floor each rep, or is couple inches below the knee good enough?

2. If a lift can be done by either barbell/dumbell, (ex. bench press).. which is better? I'm assuming dumbell since it forces you to use the same force on each side?

3. What's the general consensus on soy products? Being in asia they're kinda everywhere (tofu, soy milk/juice, soy yogurt, etc)...

any help would be appreciated.... :)

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

deadlifts start from the floor... so they go back to the floot

mix it up - barbell for a few weeks, dumbell for a few weeks

soy is not good for me... unless you like estrogen

3. squintypanda

squintypanda New Member

Thanks for the heads up.. :) so basically I "reset" after each rep for deadlift right? Is 5x5 a good idea for it? that's what I've been doing for all my lifts.. (squat, bench press, military press, assisted pull-up)... Just started lifting about a month and a half ago... still got lots to learn, heh...

btw speaking of estrogen, my couz just got this lump removed from his breast yesterday because he had gynecomastia, guess I end to tell him to lay off the soy products...

4. Memor

Memor Active Member

that's a good idea in general when you're starting DLs for the first time to make sure you set your form up right and pay attention to it. Starting with good form then progressing >>>>>> starting with bad form then destroying your back later on

i reset during my DLs but everyone has their own technique, not my place to say one thing is right and the other's wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.