Couple basic web design questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bigsnake, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'm wanting to get a webpage up for me to fool around with. Write some articles, etc.

But, my main question is, I want to put something basic up now but, how do I have to set it up that when I want to change layouts, I don't have to do every single page again?

I guess where the article text part is in a separate file and that file link is put into the layout text? or what?

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Use shtml/include files??

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Also forgot to mention, I have a version of Dreamweaver. Not sure which one, but I'll have to grab it next time I'm at my parents house. I know there is some hate for WYSIWIGs.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Behold, Penguin Man's magic Makefile-based CMS:

Code:
    # Takes foo.left, foo.right and foo.sect, plus esc.template to create foo.html                                                                                                                                                                                            
    # through the magic of sed, cat, gcc -E and other UNIXey goodness                                                                                                                                                                                                         

# Be sure to add all HTML files for your site here.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    FILES = index.html file1.html file2.html

# The base of your website, relative to $CWD                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    DEST = ../newesc                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
    # The name of the template to use.  Must reside in the file $(TEMPLATE).template                                                                                                                                                                                          
    TEMPLATE = mytemplate                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    # Permissions for HTML files in some form chmod understands                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    PERMS = 0644                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

# This will create the entire website                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
    all: $(FILES)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

# Take the HTML file, get rid of blank lines, copy it and chmod it (creating directories if necessary)                                                                                                                                                                    
    %.html: %.out                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
            mkdir -p $(DEST)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
            chmod $(PERMS) $(DEST)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
            chmod a+x $(DEST)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
            cat -s $< > $(DEST)/$@                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
            chmod $(PERMS) $(DEST)/$@                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

# Take a content file, convert '/" characters so gcc doesn't complain, write the include into template                                                                                                                                                                    
    %.in: SECTION=$(shell cat $*.sect)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    %.in: %.left %.right $(TEMPLATE).template                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
            sed -i "s/'/\&\#39\;/g" $(TEMPLATE).template $^                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
            sed "s/^## LEFT ##/#include \"$*.left\"/g;s/^## RIGHT ##/#include \"$*.right\"/g;s/## SECT ##/$(SECTION)/g" $(TEMPLATE).template > $@                                                                                                                             

# Inline the content with gcc, get rid of garbage gcc puts in                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    %.out: %.in $(TEMPLATE).template                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
            gcc -x c -E $< -o $@                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
            sed -i 's/^#.*//g' $@                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

# Delete temporary files.  Not particularly useful, but it's here.                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    clean:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
            -rm -f *~ *.out *.in
    Tweak as necessary :).

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I've been messin around with dreamweaver and adding articles is really as easy as copying and pasting.

6. goober

goober New Member

You may want to look into styles.

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I had a webpage in the past that I did in dreamweaver. When I wanted to change the design, I ended up basically having to redo every page and copy and paste the text over. I want to avoid this.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, use a framework.

9. deezil

deezil New Member

CSS if you must. Use some sort of framework, or even a blogging software with a way to do static pages.

10. silent_ninja_8

silent_ninja_8 New Member

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what exactly you are wanting to do. So if it sounds wrong then I might have misunderstood. but if you are wanting to keep like the text areas on the pages and just change the layout around it you could always just use iframes. that way you could always keep the same pages and just change the layout/template of the site.

11. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

basically what I'm wanting to do.

Say I have 10 pages all the same layout with a article on each one.

I want to be able to go and change the design of the actual webpage without having to go and make 10 new pages by creating the page and copying and pasting the text over.

12. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

It's already been said long ago, server side includes. SSI

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh ssi is ghey

14. markwill

markwill New Member

need some programming things... where Content Management System can be established.

15. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

:werd: but for someone who is just learning, it works well.

16. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

There is a better way to do it?

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, it's called a framework.

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Is it worth learning?

I'm not trying to learn this to the point to be able to do webdesign for other people, just for myself.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

learn to do it right, or don't do it at all (my motto)

20. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Guess I'll put out the effort. Can you direct me to a good source on framework info?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

22. antee

antee Medium rare please...

Where are you hosting your site? A free site or paid hosting. If it's paid www.wordpress.org since you need access to a database and php but it's flexible and will let you make your own custom pages and sections (most people use it as blogging software). It's a flexible CMS with an easy learning curve that'll let you update at will and thousands of templates for you to tweak and choose from not to mention a huge following making it easy to get support.

23. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I don't have a host yet, but I'll be paying for service. Fuck that free shit.