Counting carbs:

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I really didn't want to make an entire thread for this, but I wasn't sure what other thread to put it in. Didn't seem appropriate for brag/complain.

When you guys are low carbing it, do you count all carbs, or only net carbs?

The reason I ask is because I use dailyburn.com to monitor calories and macros. I am currently on a split of low carb (140g) and then a carb refeed every 3rd day (275g).

Lately I've been counting each carb as my total carbs. Normally this is fine, and I don't bother with netting out fiber, but what really kills me is when I use my Juicer.

For instance, I just made some juice consisting of: 3 carrots, 3 celery sticks, 1/2 bell pepper, 1 tomato, 1/2 mango, 1/4 cup wild blueberries, and 1 small apple.

That all came out to about 65g carbs and only 30 of that was from the fruit. That means 35g of carbs was from vegetables.
    You guys count that that stuff towards your total daily intake of carbs?

It sucks because I make juice in the morning and have already hit half of my daily carb intake with that alone... A lot of it, just from vegetables.

2. Mass

Mass Active Member

dont' count carbs from fiber or leafy greens, the rest, count em up

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

So I suppose I should just count everything from my juicer then? Most of the fiber is removed during the juicing process.

4. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

ya fiber does not count everything else does

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, I didn't think so.

That sucks. That means on low carb days I have juice I will need to be extremely stringent about carbs the rest of the day :wtc:

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Then again, most of my other carbs are brown rice, oats, whole wheat pasta, etc... all stuff with a decent amount of fiber and I normally count the fiber too in my total intake... so maybe it all evens out in the end. I took in 35g of vegetable carbs that I need to count, but I am sure I'll take in at least 30g of fiber the rest of the day through other means that I normally would have counted.

Screw all this. It's getting too complicated now. Just gonna count everything to save the time/headache.

7. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Why don't you just not count the veggie fiber in the juice and count everything else. You are making things too complicated. Or if you are really that concerned count everything and don't drink the juice on low carb days...

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Not much fiber in the juice.

I'm just gonna count everything, but on days I juice I'll allow myself 160g carbs instead of the normal 140. That should keep things easier and less complicated.

9. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

I don't count any carbs from vegetables... vegetables are all you can eat and I wouldn't eat much fruit if you're going pretty low on your carbs. Blueberries and strawberries are your best choice though.. not mangos... as much as I love mangos, they're pretty high in carbs

10. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

good compromise. I just count everything. On a normal day though I am only at about 120-150g carbs though so its not a huge issue for me

11. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

normal? shit, i can eat 150g's at breakfast alone

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I couldn't pass up a deal at TJ's. 1 bag (about 4 mangos worth) of frozen chunks for $2.49.
    I don't use much, but between the mango and apple I'm looking at 25g carbs.

I like the nutrients I get though. I'd rather cut down carbs somewhere else (rice or pasta) than cut it down with quality fruit.

13. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

I'm on a bit of a cutting diet currently so my total calories are only around 2000-2200. When bulking I can put down a pretty huge number over the course of the day and alot with breakfast between fruits, oatmeal, etc.

14. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I did that yesterday on my high carb day.

Felt like total crap the rest of the day :rofl:

I finished with like 350g carbs (VERY high for me, since average is like 220g) and my gut was bloated to the moon all day long.

15. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

With my diet, I don't count totals.

All my protein sources are lean, and all my carb sources very low fat.

I only count protein from my protein sources, only count carbs from carb sources, and only count fats from fat sources.

ie. if I eat a cup of oatmeal, the only thing that I count are the 25g of carbs even though it may have a gram of fat and 4-5g protein.

The total really isnt important.

16. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Well, I use dailyburn and it just adds everything up. I don't have the time or patience to go through and deduct minute amounts from each meal for "raw" totals.

17. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

:werd: I just use fitday and it totals everything for me

18. smb is me

smb is me New Member

i'm @ 185 carbs counting everything
    120 not counting veggies
    <100 not counting veggies and almonds.

And feel great. Fuck that less than 50 grams total. Not worth it.

19. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Been there, done that.

No good. You drop weight fast but stall out and end up feeling like utter shit. I get MUCH better results with minor carb manipulation sticking around 150g counting everything.

20. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

:rofl: ... man... i was eating like 600g+ 2 month ago.. lulz... PERMA BLOAT... bitches were like.. "where did your abs go?"... bloat train baby..chu chu

21. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, I couldn't do that. No way.

I think I could have hit 400g without feeling too terrible if I had chosen a different breakfast.

If I space my carbs out to 65g-85g a meal x 5 or 6 meals I can reach 400 without feeling like death. I had 150g is my breakfast alone though, and it was protein pancakes so it sat SUPER heavy.

I had to force feed the rest of my meals basically.

22. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Yeah, I'll drop my daily carbs down to 200g and see before going down to 150g.

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, you may not need to go as low as me.

I seem to pork up easily on carbs (carb sensitive maybe?) whereas others like yourself that live on white rice could probably get by with more carbs.

24. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Unless trying to step on stage probably dont need that. There is no physiological difference in fat loss in having carbs vs not so long as protein and EFA's and calories are the same. No study on earth has demonstrated that, studies have however demonstrated the reduction doesn't enhance fat loss all things equal.

What happens is people get paranoid becaue carbs will probably make u look slightly puffier.

Bodybuilders eat super low carbs pre contest becuase.. they are pre contest. And shit some of the most "sought out" bb camps don't do low carbs at all anymore.

25. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

How should I drop a few BF%?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.