Counter-Strike problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kré, Aug 13, 2002.

1. kré

kré ae86 driver.

I've been hearing a lot of people talking about CS1.5 lately and I decided that I might install CS back on my machine and fire it up. I've done that, but now I'm having the same problems as I was having a year ago when I last had it installed.

What happens is, I'll connect to a server OK, but then the pings will go up and down all over the place. For example, in the space of a few seconds, it will go from 30ms to 300ms, back down to 70ms, then up to 2000ms and so on...

I've got OptusNet cable, and the connection works fine. I've tried lots of different servers with no difference, including servers on which before the problem began I was getting constant <50ms pings.

I have played other games online w/ no issues such as Ghost Recon. I can also play CS on LANs w/ no problems at all.

My Computer specs are as follows:
    Intel Pentium III 600MHz, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb 7200rpm IBM Deskstar HD, 15Gb 7200rpm Western Digital HD, GeForce2 MX200 64Mb video card.

I have CS Retail, and I have tested and had this problem w/ 1.0, 1.1, 1.3 and 1.5 updates.

It used to work fine, then I upgraded to WinXP and had to reinstall everything, and the problem started happening. But since then, I have formatted and reinstalled the OS a few times, and still the same problem.

I've been searching around the net, the CS.net forums and everything to see if this is a common problem with XP or anything similar, but to no avail.

Can anyone make any suggestions of what to do or where else to look?