MMA Count your blessings

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Ricey McRicerton, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I don't know if any of you really consider me to be a regular in here, but I just wanted to share the weekend's events in here. Be really thankful for your health and for your friends family.

Friday I went to Dumfries, VA (about a 3 hour drive) to pick up a mint 03 S2000 with 19k on the clock. It was raining, and I looked the car over with my dad. Everything looked mint. We both drove the car, but because traffic in the area is so bad, didn't take it on the highway (which is a parking lot on 95).

Long story short, later that night, the car hydroplaned an hour from home, less than 8 hours after buying it. I tore the front end out of it sideways on highway 40 @ 65 mph in the rain in Burlington, NC.

The next day I my parents come up, with my dads truck and car trailor and get the S to bring it home so that if it's not totalled, I can have a local place fix it instead of a place more than an hour away.

These are the pictures once I got it home in the garage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's hard to see, but everything is shifted up on the drivers side:
    [​IMG]

Me and dads handywork to get the thing on a trailer:
    [​IMG]

Drivers side rear:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side rear:
    [​IMG]

Both of the fronts look like this:
    [​IMG]

I feel like such an idiot for not checking the rears. I looked at the fronts with the wheel turned to the lock and just assumed that the rears would be fine.

The tow truck driver told me that at least in NC (I bought the car in VA) that it's illegal for a dealership to sell a car that won't pass state inspection. There is an inspection sticker on my dash saying that it was inspected 10/10/07. There is no way they inspected the car with good tires and then swapped them. They had to break the wheel locks that were on the car because they didn't have the key.

I'm fucking furious that I was sold a car with tires that look like this. I know, there's a whole buyers beware thing, but I don't expect to walk away from a dealership with a car that isn't roadworthy to get home.

2. Ricey McRicerton

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bi...-1539 That looks like it shoud have had to have passed inspection for it to be sold. I got no such peice of paper or anything.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bi...00000

This is the website I found it through. I just want to get it all taken care of and finished up. I hate the waiting.

If the mods don't think this is appropriate, lock/delete/move it. :hs:

3. Ricey McRicerton

Windshield is okay, but I could go either way on it being totalled. Looks like the radiator support is hosed, but I have no idea how bad any of it really is. I plan on handing it over to the insurance co. tomorrow and then pursuing the shit with the dealership.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

thank sucks man. at least you didn't get hurt, it could have turned out a whole lot worse.

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I agree with Drag On. If the bags popped its probably totaled. You will faint when you find out how much they cost.

6. Ricey McRicerton

Then there's the SRS unit and all that. :hs: The car is worth 24 or so according to KBB, so we'll see how it all turns out. I did some body work in highschool and helped my dad race karts and then a 240sx at South Boston, so I'm not a complete noob about bodywork or mechanics or anything.

I hope that somehow the lemon law will make them buy this peice of shit back and I can just kind of get a mulligan on the whole thing. :mad:

7. Ricey McRicerton

Nah, no offense taken. I know that it's going to be expensive, but at 24k you're looking at like 18-19k to total it out. I don't think I'm anywhere near that much damage. I looked up some of the parts on hondaautomotiveparts.com and I can't even find the actual bags. :hs:

8. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I guess its possible you could get them to buy it back but it won't be under the lemon law.

The part that is going to make it hard for you is that the "defect" was in plain sight.

Hope you get it resolved. I, like you, would never have checked the tire tread on a dealership car :(

9. Ricey McRicerton

I've heard anything from 70-80% of it's total value to end up with a salvage title. :dunno: We'll see soon.

10. Titus

Titus New Member

i wrecked my camaro the same way a few years ago and it was like 9 grand in damages and they didn't total it.

11. At least you're not in a wheelchair.

12. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Dude its only a car thankfully you werent hurt.

13. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

can't you press charges? or no?

14. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

would you have hyroplaned with good tires? were you going at a safe speed for the weather conditions?

15. Sylva

Sylva New Member

AND he already explained the tire thing. He was a little absent minded and didn't check the rears which ended up not being in so good of shape, unilke the fronts which appear new.

I don't think the car will be totalled as long as the the frame isn't bent and the core support is ok(I can't relally tell from the pics) I think they'll fix it.

16. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

So... they apparently sell tires with no treads on them...

17. Ricey McRicerton

So I called the dealership and am leaning on them hard. Honestly, the two guys I've spoken to thus far sound like they want to make this go away. The owner will be there tomorrow. Best case we can rescend the deal and pretend none of this ever happend. I won't have a car worth 1/2 as much because it's had the bags blown, won't have the higher insurance, and won't have to cover the deductible on the car.

18. RMarks

RMarks New Member

car accidents on highways are no fun, I know from experience. Glad to see you're ok

19. bennyandthejet

bennyandthejet nom nom nom

Damn man, that shits crazy. Hopefully all ends well, and you can atleast break even on it all.

20. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

damn that sucks. I love s2k's. People hydroplane there s2k's all the time we do all of a Honda dealerships body work so we fix an s2k monthly. The owners always say they have no idea it just hydroplaned changing lanes.

21. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

AP1's are horrible in the wet, even with my '06 DBW AP2 gives me the shivers when I drive it in the rain. Nice to hear you are okay though. :hs:

Your AP1 looks repairable, but it's never the same after it's been in an accident. :hs: Good luck with whatever you choose to do with the car.