GUN could you take down a rhino with a 9mm or .40 ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by smell my finger, Jan 8, 2003.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

say you hit him in the side.. would it even penetrate ?

:confused:

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

It'd piss him off :p

3. novass

novass Guest

I agree - one pissed rino, one flat human

4. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Even if it penetrated the skin, it probably wouldn't do much. The load,distance, and slug type also would make a big difference.

5. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Shoot him in the anus :big grin:

Seriously though, it probably would make him die faster but it would not kill it immediately unless you somehow got into the organs. If you shot him in the eye then I guess he could die.

6. phil1

phil1 Guest

Although I agree that you would be flattened, if you had to shoot one with a 9 or 40 then you would definately want FMJ +P+ for penetration.

7. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I don't even think a 15 rnd magazine would hold enough stopping power in 9mm or .40 cal to make a rhino think twice about coming at you.

Of course, you'd have to accurately place all 15 of those rounds into said rhino, and in the time that it would take to do that, you'd probably be dead, anyhow :p

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Rhino is > .40 as You > rubberband

You might try with a .454 Cas or something if you really wanted to take one with a pistol, but you'd definitely want your guide to be covering with a .375 HH Mag or better. ;)

9. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

It would depend on the distance. I would not try with a 9 but at say 15-25 yards I would shoot at a rhino with a .40

10 shots to the head would do the trick

10. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

I think possibly that you dont comprehend the force needed to kill something.

11. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

.40 cal

Where used: Semi-automatic pistols
    Bullet Weight: 155 JHP
    Muzzle Velocity: 1140 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 448 ft. lbs
    Introduced: 1989

I think you could do it

Thick-skinned dangerous game (CXP4)
    The final category of dangerous game is the thick-skinned heavy game like buffalo, rhino, and elephant. The only thick-skinned game in North America with which I am familiar is the American bison. Bison are hunted very infrequently, and by special permit only. The American bison is a really big bovine, averaging about 1600 pounds on the hoof, which is about 60% larger than the average African Cape buffalo. A very large bison may weigh 2000 pounds. In Yellowstone National Park, the one place where substantial numbers of both humans and bison frequently come into contact with each other, bison wound and kill far more people than any other animal, including grizzly bears.

The thick-skinned game in India include the Guar (a large bovine) and the wild water buffalo. The wild water buffalo is also found, and hunted, in Australia.

In Africa there are the Big Three: Cape buffalo, rhino, and elephant. An average Cape buffalo will weigh 1000 pounds, and a very large buffalo will run about 1600 pounds. Black rhino average about 2100 pounds, and white rhino average about 5000 pounds. An African elephant can weigh 13,000 pounds!

Upwards of 4,000 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy seems to be the minimum requirement for these huge CXP4 class beasts, and 5,000 ft. lbs. is about average. Bullets with a SD of .300 or higher are recommended. The experts generally recommend a big bore rifle shooting heavy weight, solid (non-expanding) bullets, in case the hunter has to stop or turn a charging animal. Tough, controlled expansion, premium bullets like the A-Square Dead Tough, Barnes X-Bullet and Winchester Fail Safe have gained a reputation as good buffalo medicine since their introduction. I have a friend who has shot a number of Cape buffalo with his .375 H&H Mag. using the Barnes 300 grain X-Bullet. He drove one of those bullets right through the center of the horn boss of one large bull, and I have seen the skull that proves it.

What is left of this kind of hunting is mostly in Africa, where the following are recommended: 9.3x64, .375 Mag., .378 Wby., .404 Rimless NE, .416 Rigby, .416 Mag., .450 Nitro Express, .458 Win. Mag., .460 Wby. Mag., .470 Nitro Express, and .500 NE 3". An example of a classic safari rifle is the bolt action Winchester Model 70 African in .458 Win. Mag.

12. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

I read the article and understood it. I know what it said. I still belive that multi shots of .40 185gr jacketed HP would kill a Rhino at close distances.

Maybe some day we can try it. Ya`ll have a zoo close by?

13. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Ok dude listen.

Do you believe everything you read.
    Do you think a bow made by and indian in the 1700`s ever killed a buffalo? Do you think the natives of Africa ever killed a rhino before there was a 454. Casul?
    I myself have killed a very large whitetail deer at 27 yards with a .22 handgun.

None of this was possible because THEY said the force isn't great enough.

Sit down and think about it. I dont know if you have ever killed anything before. I am an avid hunter and most people over gun the animal. I am all about a clean kill. I hate to have to shot an animal twice or have one run off .

As for the 16yo comment. Do you wipe your own ass or do you let some internet guru do it?

14. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

ok if you dont like the deer and 22 what about the indians and bison?

I know that never happened. people never killed shit with spears either.

I know it hurts when what you think you know and what the books say are not right. But sometimes its the case.

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Could it be done? Eventually, sure. But at close range, you'd probably want to be using a SMG to get enough rounds into him fast enough.

Edged weapons like spear and bow focus their energy over a much smaller area than bullets do, which is why they can still be effective. It's not really an apples-apples way to compare.

i certainly wouldn't be eager out facing down a charging rhino with a .40, no.

This is getting too silly!

16. Phreaxer

Phreaxer Guest

I am another sceptic, I doubt you could successfully take a Rhino with a small caliber handgun... And I definately wouldn't even remotely recomend trying it... :p

17. KW

KW Guest

People have killed every big game animal out there with .22LR at one time or another(there are documented cases of Elephants being killed by .22lr). However using a light caliber means you need to be closer and more precise, and you run a much larger risk of either losing the animal or getting killed by it in the case of dangerous game.

So yes, you could kill one with a 9mm or 40. No, it wouldn't be smart to try.

18. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

you people are fucking idiots.. nobody ever killed buffalo with spears?? are you idiots? where the fuck are all the pre-discovery artifacts came from?? it was not as easy, but people did it.. go to a museum sometime to find out how :slap:

fucking nomads were killing wooly mammoth and shit with their primitive weapons.. just took a shitload of them and even more experience/know-how...

19. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

20. taco

taco Guest

could you kill one with a 9 or 40? could you get struck by lightining while shooting a rhino with a 9 or 40? sure that could happen too. the likelyhood of either happening is pretty remote.

if you want to shoot a rhino use a minimum of a 375 h&h but something in the 416 rem + category would be even better.

21. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

Could you? Not in real life. These suckers have skulls that have to be up to an inch thick - plus the skin, and even if you DID penetrate, would you kill it before it got to you? Remember - it weighs 5000 pounds and runs at an ungodly 35MPH! That's really fast for a huge animal! I wouldn't want to be near an agnry one without being in a vehicle that could accelerate quickly or quite a high-powered rifle.

And I call BS on the .22LR taking down an elephant. You'd have to shoot it 500 times. That thing is a pebble of a bullet and the elephant needs an avalanche.

[​IMG]

Shoot through that with a handgun? :rolleyes:

22. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

I stand my ground.