Could you guys tell me the best way to reformat my HD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Turkey_Sub, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Turkey_Sub

Turkey_Sub New Member

First off assume I have everything I need backed up and all. And I just bought a new copy of XP.

First question is; right now I have XP pro, and I dont have the disks so I am going to purchase XP, should I stick with Pro or is Home good enough?

Second question is; what exactly is the best way to reformat? I know there are a plethora of programs out there, should I use one of them or what? Which program, which is free, is regarded to be the best?

Please be aware this is the first time I have ever reformated a HD. Thank you guys.

2. offtopic

offtopic Guest

Pro or Home is fine, if you already have a copy of one then just use that or maybe a friend can loan it to you. As for formatting it will do it during the installation process. Just put the cd in the drive and reboot the computer and it should pick it up. You can delete the current installation and then it will format and start installing windows. Pretty straight forward, just have the cd in the drive as it starts up.

Any other questions just ask

3. Brian

Brian New Member

go with home pro is kinda stupid unless you have a really nice network setup:)

4. irichie

irichie New Member

pro if you need IIS, remote assistance, more robust networking or group policy control ..

and the easiest way is to simply use the xp cd like the other guy said

5. Turkey_Sub

Turkey_Sub New Member

Okay, thanks alot fellas. I really appreciate it, If i have any more questions I will post in this thread.