Could this power supply in this system cause poor performance?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Jul 22, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I'm not exactly sure what happens when you "max out" a power supply, but I run a thermaltake pure power 420w 5V40A 12V18A and 3.3V30A rails. In this particular system I run (from top to bottom... lawl):
    Dual layer DVD burner
    250GB WD IDE drive
    P4P800E-Deluxe mobo
    Prescott Pentium 4 3.2 (usually runs at 3.6, but turned it down recently)
    2gb (512x4) pc3200
    x800pro
    Audigy 2zs platinum (with bay actually using the optical to my amp)
    2x250gb seagates sata in raid0
    2x200gb WD IDE's
    Aftermarket coolermaster fan for p4... doesnt really cool much more though, gave my stocker away
    1 mini fan blowing down all the ram
    zalman cooler for x800
    3 various 80mm fans
    (I also have another 200gb WD drive I use to backup my important shit (all my ripped cd's in flac[120gb]) that replaces the dvd burner when its time to back up.

So yes I have almost 1.5TB of storage, I just bought the 250gb WD drive today because all the other drives had less than 900megs free... I dont use a page file either. So I'm moving stuff to free up about 15% space on all the drives so I can atleast defrag.

I mean, games still run fine and all, but some things take a long time to load. Like from a cold boot in windows ill load up winamp after everything is loaded and it takes like 10 seconds to load... Warm boot is a little different, this sytem acts funny sometimes. Cold boots sometimes freeze up on "loading personal settings" too

CLIFFS: High power vid card and processor, 4 sticks of ram, 5 hard drives, dvd burner and various other shit with a 420W psu. Is it enough power? Could it be throttling my system?

My system seems to perform fairly poorly for its specs lately, it could just need a defrag because I havent done it for a while, but its not like the whole drive is fragmented.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

it's probably the lack of hard drive space that's causing the slow downs.

3. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I hear ya brutha it must be a bitch filling up 900GB of drive space. :) Yes, if you don't have a 350 or 400 it "could" cause poor system performance. If you have several USB devices plugged into the computer (not a hub) it could also cause a power drain.

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

It actually isnt, there is now 80gb free on the raid0 C:\ drive and it hasnt made a difference, working on defragging now. Is 420 pretty weak though? Considering its a prescott pentium 4, thats easily 100+ watts, x800 is probably 100+ too under full load, leaving 220 left for 6 hard drives and USB devices/dvd burner and fans

5. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Defragging didnt entirely help either

6. Schproda

Schproda New Member

A 400 Watt power supply is good for damn near anything. You probably have other issues such as startup items, fragmented registry, crappy third party apps or something else running. Boot into safe mode and see if you still have the problem. It could also be spyware, malware or trojans.

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Im good with keeping the system clean. I worked as an IT admin for a while, and we had to keep the systems clean from teenage punks on the net. Adaware ran, only picked up some tracking cookies, thats it

8. captain_winkie

captain_winkie New Member

If you're running out of power, you won't see system slow-down, you'll see system instability. Random lockups & reboots. HDD's power cycling when you access them. No POST on cold boot. That kind of stuff.

If it's not extra software, it sounds like you may have a drive dying on the RAID controller, an f'd up RAID and/or driver, or Windows is just FUBAR'd. There should be a utility that came with your board for checking the RAID. Maybe verify the array (I don't know what they'd call it for your particular RAID controller since I don't know what controller it's on). I think Intel calles it the "Intel Storage Manager" and Silicon Image (if you have the later version deluxe board) calls it the SiL Raid Manager. I know the Silicon Image is a Java utility.

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ill check it out, sometimes it does randomly lock up loading windows, during the "Loading your personal settings" if your on that screen its a 50-50 chance itll lock. I have the HDDs power down after 2mins of inactivity (because there is 6 of them) and windows/downloads go to C (raid). I wouldnt say its not stable, so that cant be it. Maybe I just expect too much from it, but ill have a look