Could someone tell me something about video cards in general.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I have a Geforce 6200 Turbocache (i think that's what it called) 128meg ram card.

I got a new 22 inch monitor that when the display was set on higher resolutions it would freeze the computer. I thought it was the vid. card overheating but it turns out that there were drivers for the monitor on the cd (that weren't on the menu :rolleyes: ) So after installing the drivers for the monitor everything is peachy king.

In the meantime I had ordered a new video card. Got the XFX 8800 OC 320meg (I think). Anyway, it's supposed to be a very decent card for the price I got it at. Enouph for me anyway.

Question is: I don't game. I just watch movies on my monitor so I was wondering if I should keep the video card. Will it help anything? It has DVI connectors but so does the video card I have now. I've been told a 'good' video card does not speed up your computer. It will only show better speeds in games.

So besides the added configurations (like being able to use it on my tv etc) does the DDR3 ram and all the other 'cool' things help any?

Also, maybe someone could answer this question.

-I've been told that with the new monitor drivers the top resolution for my monitor should be 1600 by 1050. Well in the display settings it shows it can go higher than that? Why is that? Could I use those display settings without hurting card/monitor?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

If you are just watching DVD movies, your old video card should be fine

If you are hooking it up to an HD TV then you may notice some frame rate drop with your old card. Other than that, if you aren't gaming your old card should be fine.

Thought, the 8800GT (I'm assuming GT) is a hell of a lot better than what you have now. Unless you can get a full refund or really got it for a great deal I would keep it and install it.

You video card will display all of of its possible settings if it doesn't know what the monitor can accept. If you set it higher than the monitor can display then you will most likely just get a black screen and no image displayed. Normally if you just restart your computer with the updated video card drivers and the monitor plugged in it will auto-detect the supported resolutions of the monitor.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I play CS 1.6 every once in a while.

This is one of the reasons I went with this card than a less expensive card. I'll eventually hook it up to a HDTV.

It's the 8800GS and I got it for 130$ shipped then get 30$ off on MIR.

Got the package today. Newegg gives a 30 day full refund policy. I might put it in the computer and check it out and see if I like it. If not I'll return it.

After I read Newegg's return policies a bit closer. (restocking fees ... open box.. etc. etc.. )

Thanks for the reply.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

turbocache == shared memory == shit.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, your current video card does everything you need. why would you want to upgrade? how much did you spend on the other card? i'd just send it back for a refund.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Yea, I'm seriously thinking about it. I've put it in the computer because I wanted to try out CS1.6 with it. Haven't yet but so far all I have to say is PASSIVE > *. Jesus this thing is loud.

BTW the reason I bought it is b/c I thought my old vid. card didn't support the resolution on my new monitor. Then I found the monitor drivers that came with the monitor buried in the cd. :mad: This is the first monitor I"ve had that needed drivers. :hs:

The last one had optional drivers.

edit: ohh BTW this thing is HUGE! I foresee one problem in returning it. GETTING IT OFF THE MOTHERBOARD! One the PCI-e slot there is a tab that you push that releases the video card. Well, this one blocks that tab from being pushed. Don't know HOW I'm going to get it off. Ideas would be welcome.

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

man,... you guys have the wierdest problems.

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

:rofl: Hey, I didn't design this motherboard. :rofl:

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i don't like that little tab in the back, i know it is there to help hold it securely, but it can be a pain in the ass to unclip it from the mobo

you could snap the tab off of the card or break off the clip thing on the mobo

or use the pen to push it open when you goto pull the card out