Could someone please explain damping factor to me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Aug 4, 2003.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Jun 15, 2003
    I have heard this term before, but I don't really understand what it is and how it affects a speaker/subwoofer.

2. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Damping factor is basically the ability of an amplifier to control the driver. Low speaker impedances reduce this ability.

Damping factor will somewhat determine how a subwoofer is going to sound, or what kind of bass it will reproduce. An amp with a lower damping ratio will give you a looser, boomier bass. Although the kind of box you design will play a larger part in how the sub will sound.
  3. 04

04 Guest

This is true, but only SOME tube amps have damping factors that are bad enough to make an audible difference. Almost any modern day transistor amplifier will have a damping factor high enough to where it doesnt matter.

You can try messing with the damping factor yourself. If you go to Radioshack try and find a 10watt 1 or 2 ohm resistor and wire it in series with your speaker, you can mimic the reduced damping factor. With at least a 2ohm resistor, you will probably hear a difference.