A&P Could I pull off a wedding?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SuperCzar, Oct 15, 2007.

1. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

I'm not an excellent photographer. I have never gotten paid for any of my work, I shoot often but only recreationally and with very little opportunity for C&C.

I've never shot anything like this before comfortably, but I just got an email from my aunt that wants me to shoot my cousin's "wedding". I say that because it's a semi-informal legal ceremony (like 25ish people there) with the real wedding happening the next week in Ireland.

I already said that I could never be compensated for the job. I don't feel comfortable enough with my photography to be paid for it, but I said I would shoot and give her whatever I get.

My kit is currently a 20d, 18-55 kit lens, and a 28-135. I could buy a 50 1.8 for this job without issue, but I don't have a real flash for the job.

What do you all think? For those of you with wedding jobs... If you could add two pieces to my kit, what would they be? And L glass is currently out of the question.

2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

buy a speed light.

indoors? or outdoors?

3. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Your pictures will probably be as bad as the "wedding" itself so it shouldn't be a problem.

I also don't understand why everybody these days thinks just because somebody has a DSLR that they can do the jobs of professional photographers.

Regardless, it sounds like her expectations are low. If you can't get a speedlight, diffuse the onboard flash with an index card or a sheet of paper wrapped over it. If you can get a 50 1.8, do that as well and shoot it at ~ f2.5 and get tight headshots and stuff. I never trusted that lens to focus on anything far away.

4. johan

johan Active Member

Post your work if you want opinions on whether or not you could pull off a wedding.

Failing that, do YOU think you could pull it off?

I'm reading a lot of reasons in the above about why you think you can't, and your perceived limitations.

What, if anything, makes you think you can?

5. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

thrifty fifty in a wedding :noes: that AF mechanism is loud, slow and inaccurate so it'll be whirring through the whole ceremony.

at least invest in a 50 1.4 or 85 1.8 for the wedding, if you do it.

6. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

dont do it. if you are questioning if you can or not, dont. because you could be tainted for life if you fuck it up. i dont understand why all these newbs think because they have a dslr, they can shoot professionally. Ther eis a reason why Wedding photogs have assistants and/or apprentices. Its so the person gets experience setting up shots, learning to control/pose people etc.... I shoot professionally for events and night clubs. And i dare not do a wedding. Too much involved, too much riding on the photographer. Shooting a bride is a tough job that should not be taken lightly. As it seems you are. You have to plan ahead for a wedding. Rehersal attendance is usually required so you can lay out your shots. Communication is key, thats the true difference between an Am and a Pro. setup, thinking ahead, and having a vision of how you want the wedding to be portrayed.

and to answer the question two pieces to help your kit....

I would rather be utilizing my time researching other wedding photogs work, reading books, and just plain looking at as many wedding photos as possible. Gear is not gonna be your weakness here. Knowledge will be. But if you dont heed my warning, get some flashes.

7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I plan on shooting a few weddings coming up for free along side a pro.

8. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

This couple that i know had a wedding at city hall and their reception at an in-n-out. If the wedding that you're thinking about shooting is this modest, i'd say go for it. Otherwise don't.

9. turbodude

that's amazing...... I bet that was the brides dream.

10. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

i'm pretty sure the bride didn't ask for a 2 carat ring or a $5000 wedding dress or a $800 wedding cake...FTW :wavey:

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i highly suggest shooting alongside a pro first if the photos you've never taken shots like this before.

12. SuperCzar

I dont understand this either... :noes: Just because someone spent >$500 on a camera doesn't mean that you're a photographer. :nono:

I did not approach her, and I had no intention of doing this... and I still dont plan on doing it, I was more just posting a thread about what gear you guys would recommend for that kind of situation.

Personally, my photographic interests lie more in outdoors activity shooting, sports and race mostly.

But I'm thinking that a flash is in the books for the near future just to see what kind of things I could do with it and I'm looking at primes for some lenses sharper than the crap that I've got.

13. turbodude

See sharpness may not be everyone style for weddings. Sharpness is overated. Again my suggestion is read some books.

Then why make this fuckin thread? :nuts:

Again why post something like this if you have no intentions of shooting a wedding?

Where is my buddy Chimpo

14. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

i think there are a lot of wedding requests in general. people try to avoid paying $5000+ for a wedding photographer. even a wedding videographer i've worked with asked me to do weddings with him, as he gets so many requests for photos. i just wouldn't shoot solo for a wedding period, without the proper training.

15. SuperCzar

I dunno, I'm not seriously considering it... Just felt like posting.

The idea was more to get general tips, not to suddenly become a wedding photographer due to my one post on an internet forum.

16. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I think the more important question is what are THEY expecting from you as the photographer of the wedding. If they are looking for pro quality work and you can't guarantee it then I would absolutely turn it down. If they just want someone to take some pictures and you are clear in your skill and make no promises and they fully understand this why the hell not?

17. mojito

mojito New Member

could you? probably

should you? definetly not

will you? probably

what to add, rent some speed lights and pocketwiards or st-e2 and light stands