SRS Could I have social anxiety disorder?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Mar 22, 2005.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

I can't tell if I have society anxiety disorder or if I'm just introverted. I get really nervous about going out to bars and parties and stuff. The mere thought gets me really uncomfortable. I don't even particularly like going out. The thing is, though, I'm completely comfortable once I'm there and usually end up enjoying myself. I'm not nervous or anxious at all once I'm in the social situation. Could social anxiety disororder take the form of being anxious in anticipation of being social instead of being anxious in social situations?

2. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

i'm exactly like you. i get nervous when friends talk about going to bars and clubs but that feeling all goes away once i get there (especially after a couple of beers ;))

3. D

D A guiltless state of self awareness.. The process

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  4. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

I'm an INTJ. I already know I'm introverted and all of the things that entails, but I was more wondering about social anxiety disorder specifically...whether it can take the form of anxiety in anticipation of being social instead anxiety in social situations.

I guess I'm kind of hoping that it is SAD, cause that way there'd be a pill to fix me. :hsd: As it stands, I barely go out and I go to great lengths to avoid going out some times. I wish I could just want to be social. It's not just a preference for being alone, as would be expected with introversion, but it's actually an axiety about going out, which I thought might be SAD.

5. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

:werd: I also get incredibly nervous in anticipation about calling people too. I'll not answer my phone some times cause the thought of a person calling wanting to go out makes me uncomfortable, so they'll leave a message, and then I'll get really, REALLY uncomfortable about calling them back. Of course, once they're actually on the phone, it's smooth sailing and I'm not nervous at all. :hsd:

6. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

that amazing you brought that up. my girlfriend is exactly like that when we first started to go out. she would never pick up or return my calls, and i automatically assumed that she wasn't interested. i later found out that she just had your problem and i made it a point to start talking to her in person, it made everything so much easier. she was just so shy back then but she has really opened up recently.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  7. D

D A guiltless state of self awareness.. The process

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/disorders/dis_details.php?disID=95

Had to fix the above link, it has the diagnostic information you were looking for.

I've been through all of those things. I got so bad once I didn't leave the house for months. Then I needed food.
    I use occasional benzodiazapines to keep the anxiety at bay. (I've posted that way too much in here.) As long as I only take them when I need them it's fine.

From that site ^ I was able to figure out that I have a touch of anthropophobia. Strange thing is, I love traveling because then I'm "anonymous." :hs:
    I've managed to shake most of it. Sometimes I think it's because I've seen so much.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This is America, not Communist Russia! With a lot of hard work, and years of effort... you can have any disorder you want. And don't let anyone tell you different. Its the American dream for the new millenium.

9. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Whats this Peyomp? That sounds like something I would say. Anyways I use to be nevorus about doing things that involve people but after years of talking to people and parties I got over it some how. Its still there but I can function.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

In my case, I'm saying that people like you can and will get worse by avoiding their problems. ;)

11. BradUF

BradUF Guest

People like me? O yes I go home and cut my self then ignore the problem.

12. johan

johan Active Member

13. gum11

gum11 Guest

listen, if it bothers you that much that youre making a thread about it and thinking about going to the doctor and getting it checked out then its serious. if you can live with it and it doesnt bother you then dont worry about it or read a book or something

14. Reznik

Reznik New Member

yeah, this is called anticipatory anxiety. Social Anxiety is not a textbook case, there are different variations for different people. Some people only feel anxious in certain situations. You may have a mild case of Social Anxiety. And generally with a little more effort and behavior and thought modification... you can get over it.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Although this generally needs to be guided, by a professional. I'm amazed at the thought processes of those afflicted with social anxiety. It really takes an external influence to get them the insight they need to get over their shit.