SRS Could I be addicted to xanax?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MudRacer4x4, Jun 26, 2007.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

I take 0.5 everyday right before I go to sleep. I know its a low dose but i still feel like I might be addicted because at night I think about taking it alot. I've been on it for 3 months or so and when i get off it i can last for like 7 days if i have no stress going on. am i an addict?

2. cryptonomicon

cryptonomicon verba volant, scripta manent

i wouldn't say you're 'addicted'
    you probably have a tolerance to it, and your thinking about it at night is just a conditioned response to the association with taking it at night
    if you stopped taking it you would probably experience withdrawal, but monitored by a physician at a low dose like that you should be fine

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

that is really something to talk to your doctor about

4. Metal

Metal Active Member

did your doctor write you a script for it or have you been taking it on your own?? like getting it from someone else, buying it on the street, stealing it, etc.?? if your doctor is the one that told you to start taking it he must have had a good reason behind it so I'd ask him like 'i killed tupac' mentioned..

5. auto

auto New Member

I am agoraphobic and I take xanax for anxiety. I was prescribed 1mg a day but since the start I have been breaking them in half and taking a smaller dosage. I have been taking them for a little over a year and if I am off for more then a few days I notice it for sure. By the nature of what you are taking your body becomes dependant on them. I certainly wouldn't call you an addict, if you stick to the dosage your doctor has prescribed and you are not abusing them in anyway you should be fine. How are they working out for you?

6. Pancdca

Pancdca New Member

Hi, I work a detox (I'm an addictions counselor) and yes, xanax are extremely addictive.

They are benzodiazepines (benzos) and without getting too technical they have the same chemistry in the body as alcohol does only with a longer half life (takes longer to get them out of your system).

As they build up in your system your tolerance increases so you need more and more or stronger doses (ie going from a .25mg to a .5 mg).

Xanax or any benzo builds in your bloodstream and just as with alcohol your body gets used to having a certain level in there. As that level decreases you get sicker and sicker.

As with alcohol, quitting benzos cold turkey can kill you.

Other benzos are:
    Klonopin
    Valium
    Rohypnol
    Tranxene
    Ativan
    librium
    halcion

7. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

there working well but i'm still trying to stop them. its the only way i can fall asleep though

8. springlife

springlife New Member

I completely agree with this guy. You not be addicted, but you're definitely looking for a change.

9. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

i'm not really sure but i'm possibly addicted to xanax

i'm suppose to be taking 0.5mg a day and now i've started taking double that. i'm not stealing them or getting them off the streets but i'm wondering if i'm addicted. isnt 1.0mg a small dose. i take them everyday. It makes me have that drunk relaxed feeling. Should I try stopping them and see how it goes?

10. i killed tupac

is that was you were prescribed them for? Like you said "hey doc, i feel too sober all the time can i get some xanax?"

have you talked to your doctor?

11. 16:55

16:55 Guest

listen, you gotta stop doing that, now. do not fuck with the benzodiaphamines. you will develop a tolerance and a dependency, and the withdrawl is absolute horror. i am talking from experience.

12. Gillzeebub

Gillzeebub New Member

do not just stop taking them... ease off them

13. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

i'm trying but its ruining me. When i'm on them i'm cockier and more confident and when i'm off them i feel like complete shit about myself. not only that but i find i cant remember anything since i stopped. I might just say fuck it and keep doing it because i havent seen any negative effects yet.

14. Deepsouthwrx

Deepsouthwrx If in doubt, flat out!

15. i killed tupac

16. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

because things have changed since then. taking more then ever. My friends tell me to stop it and eventually my mind will go back to feeling ok but i've never felt as good as i did when i was on xanax ( i was more confident,focused and had great memory now my memory sucks). i'm still on it but only less then half of what i was on because i hear its bad to stop straight out

17. MikeMarx

MikeMarx Guest

You can stop cold turkey on .5 and not die. You might feel wierd. I was doing like 8 miligrams a day for like three months and then stopped cold turkey. I didn't feel right for a couple of weeks but then I recovered. I'm lucky though I didn't go into seizures. I know a kid who was WAY out of control. He was on like 10 bars a day (20 miligrams), then his street connection disappeared. I told him he better check into a rehab or he's gonn go into seizures, he didn't listen and almost died.