could HD lead to RESTART problems? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by liloutlaws, Nov 18, 2004.

1. liloutlaws

liloutlaws Guest

over the course of the past 3 months my computer will randomly restart, and when it does, it will keep restarting nonstop. i thought it was the cpu, mobo, ram, power supply...i switched all of those out one by one and the problem still persists...

what i have left to check now is video card, cd drives and hard drive.
    my next bet is the hard drive, since i just bought new mobo and and cpu. and the problem still happens. I have 2 harddrives, so I decided to unhook the master and reformat the slave and try again.

Have any of you guys heard of hard drives failing like this causing non stop reboot?

2. MP

MP New Member

Sep 10, 2002
    have you checked the hdd for errors? I haven't heard much of a harddrive causing restarting problems unless it's pretty faulty (ie: missing large blocks or damaged head or software related)

the video card seems more likely the culprit. If you can borrow a friends known working video card and try it out in your system before buying a new one. That should tell you whether or not it's the apg / gpu causing the problems.
  3. liloutlaws

liloutlaws Guest

hmm i will try..thanks

any other ideas?
  4. liloutlaws

liloutlaws Guest

the video card isn't the problem and I tried different thats' not it either, nor is it my power strip. could a faulty cd drive lead to this problem?