Cost to make website?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KillKingKong, May 15, 2007.

1. KillKingKong

KillKingKong New Member

An uncle of mine asked me to make a website for his business and I want to know how much does it usually cost to hire someone to make a website. I obviously never been paid for a job like this and I'm clueless as to how much to charge. I was thinking like 200 but someone told me that jobs like these usually go for 1.5k.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Gather requirements, determine how long it will take you to complete said requirements. Then either: figure out a target price you'd like to charge, and hourly back into it (if you're giving your uncle the buddy discount), OR figure out what you want to charge hourly, add 10 "fudge" hours for testing and such.

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

If you've never done a website before (assumption) then 1.5k is quite a stretch. For someone new I'd say no more than 4-500 for a non-dynamic site.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Since it's family you should do it for free and use it as a reference int eh future.

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

i would agree only if it were a standard html page, but now adays, everything is dynamic, and if you are doing a lot of work already, then unless you are doing it for filler time and has no expected finish date, then i would say charge at least something

6. KillKingKong

KillKingKong New Member

:hsugh: He offered to pay. Who am i to turn down his gesture?

That's just a price my mom was saying professionals get, not what to charge him. And I made my own site like 6 years ago, but then i realized almost nobody went to my site, so I haven't used HTML since. :hs:

I've starting making the site already based on what I would assume he would want. Although it could want something totally different causing me to start over. If he does like the one I already start I'll just finish it up and then just stall for a little bit to make it seem like harder work than it is.

If you're cheaper than outsourcing to India, we may have a deal. I asked a Indian friend of if one of his cousins back in India could do this for a few bucks but he told me to shut up, so you may get the job by default.

7. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

When I used to do websites (4 years ago) I charged about a grand for a 5-10 page static web site.