Cost of setting up PHP MYSQL? What would be the typical cost for this:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mondaynightmike, Mar 9, 2005.

1. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

Basically i'm just wondering what it would typically cost for someone to do the following:

Create a simple website (where the user can select computer componets from drop down lists.)
    Create and set up a mysql database which can the store the details as well as customer name / address as well as payment details.

Then admin features such as being able to edit the details and change prices / final price of the selected information.

(All the above being avilable via .html or .php pages so the person who you've designed it for doesn't have to mess about with php myadmin and is very user friendly).

Any ideas?

2. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I would'nt of thought much at all. I'm paying 6 quid a month for hosting, the most expensive bit will be the site design unless you can do it yourself with a visual web page editor - thats what I used, the only problem you have is creating decent enough graphics. Is it for use by the public? because if so these things will matter in getting the site listed by the search engines. If you get a company to design the site for you they should take care of all this like the meta tags etc and should also have some good tips as it can take forever to get listed.

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

setting up the machine is pretty easy. Most web host servers will have this already done for you. Now it all depends on how you want to create the website for the database. You have to be very careful and make sure you code and system is very secure when you are dealing with a persons name, address, and payment details.

If you haven't done this stuff before, then I would suggest getting some help or get a COTS product to help you out.

4. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

Nah i've done it all. I was just wondering what kind of price would be charged for work like that (i've done it for my assignment) and was just curious.

Theres the main website. Then an admin area where you can edit/ view /update/delete all the details as well as print from it.

5. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

you are not talking about setting up php or mysql, you are talking about creating a site using those services, correct??

sounds like you are trying to create an ecommerce solution and not install the services

6. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

These services should come standard. The management scripts you are looking for is extra, something that could cost a few hundred bucks to a thousand or two thousand dollars.

7. Siblack

Siblack Old Member

how about something like oscommerce.com? it's really easy to setup and run. it only takes couple of clicks to install.

8. TV-MA

TV-MA Guest

most hosts will already have all the services you require. I run hosted solutions, and all our linux servers run LAMP, ( linux, apache, mysql, perl/php/python), that is a general standard for any decent host you' would be looking for. As far as the design / development ? If you are doing it yourself then just might want to consider an SSL cert if you are going to be taking name / address / payment information. Most hosts offer a shared on for around 19 bucks a month. Anyways, good luck..

9. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

I am using JaguarPC.com and they have been great. Its a gig of disk space 45gig bandwidth for $7.95 a month (assuming you get them for a year, its $5.95 per month if you do it for 2 years). They will register a domain name for ten bucks a year and have everything I have ever needed. They have a nice secure environment and I have only had them go offline once for about an hour when a harddrive went down. They had everything backed up and I lost nothing. Its really better to do then buying a pc, doing all the security, and paying for the bandwidth.

-dk