Cost of a respray

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by notaniceperson, Dec 5, 2008.

1. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

OK, I just got the quote from my painter for paint on my 87 Porsche 944S.

4300.00 for a complete respray of the car to its original color but with much more clear on it for a deep wet shine.

This includes removal of all glass, painting door jambs and beyond, all trim removed and replaced, refinishing the rear bumper covers, installing a fiberwerks front end kit, removing the old and installing the new rear spoiler, all dings dents and so on repaired, all rust removed and repaired, pretty much a full on assault on the car.

The guy who wants to do it is excited to do it, he usually does accident repair but has done alot of paint work and I have seen his work and it is really nice, he comes very highly recommended.

I want opinions on this price. Do you folks think it is high or is it spot on? I have never had a car painted like this before so I am in the dark here.

Thanks.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

that's a really good price for the amount of work to be done. what kind of paint?

3. notaniceperson

I am not sure, but assume it will be a high quality as he is well known for his work. I am guessing OEM type or better.

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I'll tell you from experience as a painter, that when you're genuinely excited about doing a job it always comes out A+.

The price is good, I'd be concerned it was a little low- but that's dictated by shop and region more than anything. Spraying will be the easy part on a resto job like this, so throwing on some extra clear isn't hurting him too much.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

the whole extra clear makes it look deep and wet is a lie its the wetsanding of all of the extra clear off that will make the difference. The price seems a little bit low but not off the wall low. I would find out what paint line he is using.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Have you seen examples of his work in the full sun? Doesn't matter how good the prep and paint is if he trashes it with a buffer.

7. notaniceperson

He is using the Dupont system.

I have seen his work in full sun, bad ass!